Ch17

Enjoy...I didn't proofread!

"Explain."

Detective Chalmers sighed. He never meant to hurt the love of his life in any shape, form or fashion. But just as he'd done many years ago, and some of the ones that followed, he was doing it again, it seemed.

"Before I do that, Adele, I just want you to know..."

"Explain, Jr! Right. Now!" Adele said pointing firmly to the ground. Detective Chalmers heart was breaking at the look on her face, the pain in her eyes. He took a seat on Adele's couch, unable to stand anymore. His knees were weak from shame.

"You know after Paula and I got divorced, I cut all lines of communication off with her. Didn't want anything to do with her.."

Adele slightly nodded. Even though Adele had divorced Jr, they still talked, for the sake of their children. Plus, Jr was, and probably would always be, her only love and best friend. Jr confided in her often. Even before it happened, Adele knew that sham of a marriage between Jr and Paula wasn't going to last. One, because it wasn't built on love. Two, there was no trust between them.

How could there be? Jr cheated on his first wife because Paula seduced him with lies. Throw in some decent head game and pussy, and any man thinking with the head in between his legs at the time, will fall susceptible to just about anything.

Jr knew that being with Paula wasn't good for him, wasn't what he wanted. Nonetheless, he tried to make it work. He tried to fix their 'relationship' problems by getting married toward the end of their 3 year stent. Load of crock that was. Jr and Paula were divorced before the ink dried on their marriage license.

"IF I talked to her, it was only for Sonny, her son's, sake. He looked at me as his father you know..."

"Get to the point, Jr!" She wasn't trying to be rude to the young man she once saw as her own son, while in foster care with her, but it was irrelevant at the moment.

Detective Chalmers held up his hands, signaling he wouldn't go on with that particular back story. "Paula called me about two years ago. Told me about Ivi being in jail and how it wasn't her fault. I knew vaguely about Ivi and her mom's relationship, from briefs conversation with Paula. She knew I had just become a parole officer in the area and asked me to look into her case.

"When I met her..." he trailed, "...she reminded so much of you. The things you went through before we met. I saw you in her. So at first, I wanted to help her because it was like I was trying to help Ivi make her life better.."

"Like you did for me right? Showed me that their was more to life than what I'd experienced right?" Adele countered sarcastically.

"Baby listen..."

"No!" Adele yelled. "Don't 'baby' me! You don't get to coddle and sweet talk me." She was infuriated.

"Okay. Okay." He countered quickly to keep her calm. "Yes. Ivi needed help just like you did. So I helped her. I took on her case. I got her assigned to a psychiatrist, Aleen, and had the parole board assign her to me. She got the help she needed and was released.."

"And Ivi coming to live with me? What was that about? You could have helped her without bringing her here, into our lives!" Adele said bitterly.

Detective Chalmers didn't mistake the anger in her tone of voice. He knew the ramifications of his choice. Adele had taken care of one of Paula's family members before, Paula's son, when he cheated on her. Now, Adele was taking care of Paula's niece and she felt played. But it wasn't like that.

"I didn't bring Ivi here to taunt you or rub the past in your face, Adele. I would never do something like that to you. I love you..."

"You love me so much that you CONSTANTLY have to have me around when it comes to that BITCH. If not directly, in directly. You let me take care of her son while you FUCKED her in our bed! While I was going through complications carrying one of OUR children. You wanted your dick wet THAT BAD?!"