bonus chapter ⚘ father and daughter

⚘

Titus and Adelaide had moved to Michigan after the trial. Emery saw them often at the bar or at the store. And every time, Emery wanted to say something. But it was awkward to mention that he may be her biological father. Maybe he wasn't though. Elvira probably was just trying to get under her skin. That woman always liked to do that.

So, she stayed away from the subject for as long as she could. But now it was festering. And Josh was starting to worry about her.

"Em, you should really talk to him about it."

"Ha, yeah, and what? Say, hey! I think you may be my father. Is that true? Oh, you never had children before. My bad. Just listened to the crazy woman who birthed me who is now in prison."

He sat down a cup of coffee on the dining table in front of her. It was Saturday, but she still woke up early. And whenever she got out of bed, Josh came out of the room twenty minutes later, complaining. Josh had moved in after she mentioned that he always stayed over and left his clothes everywhere. Jo still lived with her, but she was starting to get irritated with the both of them.

"No, don't word it like that. Just, ask him to have a drink with you and then tell him how you're feeling. That maybe you think it's a crazy idea, but you feel that he is your father. If he's not, then just say that he's been more of a father than your own."

"Why do you always know what to say?" She whined and then took a sip of the coffee.

"Because I'm amazing."

"Ha-ha, you're hilarious." She stuck out her tongue at him.

"Thanks for noticing."

She slapped his arm, "Jerk."

He grabbed her hand and pulled her forward, kissing her. It made her forget for a moment what they were talking about. "Wait!" She pulled back. "Should I do it today?"

"Sure, whatever." He went to kiss her again, but she maneuvered out of his arms.

"Then I should call him."

"Emery." He whined and pouted.

"Josh." She mimicked as she hit Titus' name in her contacts. She held it to her ear and Josh walked over, putting his arms around her waist, and his head on her shoulder.

After the third ring, he answered, "Hello?"

"Hey, Titus! Did I wake you?"

"Oh, hey, Emery. No, I've been up for a while. Did you need something?"

"Um, yeah." She pushed her fingers through Josh's curls. "I was wondering if you and I could meet later tonight at the Bar. I wanted to talk about something with you."

"Alright.. is it good what we're going to be talking about?"

"Hopefully!"

He chuckled, "Alright. See you at the bar, tonight."