One

Penelope

It was day time. Miss Clarkson had told me that a couple would come over today to adopt a child. I knew I wouldn't be picked, I never got picked. 

Miss Clarkson had picked out a nice little yellow dress for me to wear. I liked it very much just because yellow is one of my favorite colors. The only problem with it was that it wasn't comfortable, at all. You couldn't climb trees in it. You didn't get to run in it either. "No running, you will ruin your dress" Miss Clarkson had told me very strictly earlier today. 

Aaah, this couple better adopt me. This is hard work.

I was upstairs drawing, because that was really the only thing you could do when you had this type of dress on.

"All the girls, age 4-7 get down her now!" Miss Clarkson yelled. Yes finally, when I've met them I can take this dress off. I mean, I liked wearing dresses, they were pretty but if I was going to put on a dress it had to be comfortable and not too fancy, so I could at least run in it. 

I walked down the stairs with Gracie. She was my best friend here at the adoption center and she was five, just like me. She also liked to explore and run around and stuff like that. We usually did everything together. 

We held hands as we walked down the stairs. In my other free hand I held Elliot, my bunny rabbit. 

"Do you think they will adopt one of us?" Gracie asked looking at me with her sad big brown eyes. "I don't know, maybe" I answered truthfully as we jumped off the last step, as we always did.

Miss Clarkson made us stand in a line for the couple so they could talk to everyone and to then decide witch kid they wanted. Me and Gracie stood next to each other still holding hands.

The couple started to talk to Gracie. "Hi little lady, what's your name" the lady with dark hair cooed. 

"My name is Gracie Marie Carter" Gracie said while giving them her best smile, witch they surely smiled back at. 

"How old are you?" The man asked looking at Gracie. "Five" she said holding up five fingers.

Their conversation kept going until they walked over to me.

"Hello there sweetie, what's your name?" the nice lady asked. 

"Hi. I'm Penelope" I said as I smiled, they looked very nice.

"Oh hi there Penelope, how old are you darling?" the man asked. 

"I'm five" after that they just nodded and walked away to the other person. They didn't talk as much to me as they did to Gracie, I wonder why.

When they had talked to everyone they walked in with miss Clarkson to her office, they always did that when the visitors had decided witch child they wanted. 

"Did you see that" I asked Gracie, she just looked confused. 

"What?" She asked as she started to fiddle with her bracelet, it was a friend ship bracelet, I had the same one. 

"They talked way more to you then to me!" I yelled frustrated as I stomped my foot on the floor, it was very unfair. 

"Did they? That's so unfair" She stated as she started to look angry now as well. Gracie always wanted everything to be fair to everyone.

We got interrupted with miss Clarkson and the couple walking out of the office. 

"Now everyone, the Johnson's have made a decision, they will adopt Gracie" She said as everyone started clapping. I was happy for her of course, but I would have to be alone. My absolute best friend was going to leave, without me.