4: ...But Not Everything Has To

Start from the beginning

He grins. "Think of it this way. Most everything on this world is flammable, right?"

"Well---"

"MOST everything." Dad repeats. 

"Yeah. Sure."

"But, everything that doesn't deserve to burn has a life behind it." Dad explains. "Like you. What made you finally stop the fire?"

"When Brit and Carlos showed up." I say instantly. 

"Exactly. Life is valued above everything else, even by our fire itself." Dad says. "Death is the opposite of life, and the Fire acknowledges what stories lie behind people's lives. Think of it all, Liss. thousands of people die every single day, unknown by people everywhere but where it happens. One person affects everything around them. Like you, Liss."

"Me?" I ask in surprise. "I haven't---"

"Yes, you have. You think I ever would've left Scotland without you? You think Carlos, Mal, Evie, and Jay would've let you into their group to take over if they didn't trust you? Sera, that hunk of emotionless rock, trusts you in a way she only ever trusted her brother. Ben obviously didn't mind that you set his kingdom on fire. And Eddie---"

"She hates that name."

"Exactly why I call her by it." Dad smiles. "Point is---face it, Ellie, people can't help but love you. Even your fire---yes, I'm using it as a person---knows you. It wants you to take control. To be in charge! Fire isn't meant to be something that rages on without end. It knows it's limits."

"Still not understanding, Dad."

"Ellie. Just focus on the good in things." Dad says. "And the fire will listen."

I sigh. "Fine. I'll try that next time I have a freaky nightmare about you two trying to attack me."

Dad's eyebrows raise. "Ah. I suppose that is a bit freaky."

Mom, who has been watching us like a tennis match, beams. "Are we done? Please? Can I pick first movie?"

"Actually, I think Liss should do that." Dad says hastily, probably remembering that Mom's favorite movie of all time is Sound Of Music. It's an awesome movie, but in Dad's opinion, you can only sing so many times before it becomes weird. 

Mom huffs. 

__________________________________________________

Hours later, I snap awake just in time to hear the lyrics "When the dog bites, when the bee stings..." and I realize I fell asleep. I look over to my parents, and smile when I see that they're cuddled up, fast asleep. My mom is even making that little wheezy noise she does with her nose when she's having a good dream. 

I ease myself off the bed as quietly as I can. Dad makes a grunting sound and I freeze, but he just sniffs and goes back to sleep. I breathe a sigh of relief and start to creep past them when I hear my dad behind me, "Ellie."

I smile and start to turn back around. "Sorry, D---" I stop dead when I see his face, which is pale as snow and his eyes are a deep, night-sky black.

"Miss me?" he says, his voice resonating through my bones. 

I steel myself and clench my fists in an attempt to keep the flames I feel bubbling beneath me down. "This---is---a---dream." I insist. 

"Nightmare." he corrects, just like last time. "Be afraid, girl. Be very afraid. I can feel it inside you. I can feel your father's powers waiting to come out. Let them."

"NO!" I yell, and a small spark shoots from my right hand. Dad starts laughing a laugh that sounds like a knife hacking at metal. This time, I'm determined to keep Dad's powers in. 

So I use Mom's instead. I've been good at hers for forever now. I just remember every good time I've ever had with my friends---my family---and mist-like ice seeps from my closed fists. I openly palms toward Dad's weird apparition thing, and daggers made of icicles shoot from them, screaming his way. 

He laughs harder than ever, leering at me as he grows in size and absorbs my ice. "Good!" He encourages. "Good! I---" his face falls, and his eyes grow red in anger. "I'll be back, girl. Mark my words!" 

And then I jolt awake for the third time today, with my mom holding a firm grip on my wrist, covering it in a thin layer of frost to combat the wild flames that are cooking my father. 

"Oh, god." I gasp out, snatching my hand away. "Please don't tell me---"

"Yeah... we've got to find some way to stop this." Dad starts patting his skin. Everywhere he touches, it sputters out. 

"Maybe leave your hair, dear." Mom says. "Make people think your powers are coming back."

He glances upward. "Good idea."

"Wait---Mom, how'd you do that? Freeze my hand?" I ask. She presses her lips together like she's trying not to smile. 

"Well...  I meant to tell you when you got home yesterday... But, a few weeks ago... My powers started coming back."

"WHAT! No way!" I exclaim, a huge grin stretching across my face. "How much?"

"Just a little bit." She holds out one palm and a few snowflakes swirl themselves happily around her fingers. 

"Well, what did you expect?" Dad asks. "A blessing from a goddess isn't going to be taken away by some silly spell by a fairy."

"Don't let Fairy Godmother hear you say that." Mom warns, closing her hand and letting her snowflakes settle themselves in her messy hair. 

"Now, for your..ah... problem, Liss." Dad says, sitting down next to me on the couch. "I have an idea, but I'm not sure how you'll take it."

"After setting stuff on fire for the past two nights, I'll take anything."

He grins. "That's my girl." 

___________________________________________________

WHO HAS SEEN THE NEW VID FOR "KIM POSSIBLE" SADIE STANLEY'S "CALL ME, BEEP ME"!?! AH! LOVING IT!!!! CANNOT WAIT FOR KP TO COME OUT!!! AAAH!

AND!!!!!

WHO HAS SEEN THE NEW TRAILER FOR FROZEN 2!!!!! IT'S OUT NOW!!!!! IT IS AMAZING, AND I TOTALLY CALLED ELSA'S RUNNING-ON-WATER THING!!! WHO REMEMBERS THE CHAPTER IN "ELICIAS ICE" WHERE ELLIE RUNS ON WATER TO ESCAPE THE ISLE WITH SERA?!?! HUH???? HUUUUUHHHH!!!?!?!?!

Also, I have performed my play for the last time, and I'm super sad. I loved my character, and I'm really gonna miss playing with her. Old lady with rain boots and an umbrella inside. Yep. 

Ha.

I'm weird.

Anyways....bye!