The lost souls

Edward's P.O.V.

The vent grew closer and closer to my body as I scooted along.

"It's a good thing we're small, otherwise we wouldn't fit." I said quietly, but only heard Scarlett stop, drilling holes in the back of my head.

"Dear lord, he's facing reality.." she said loudly, and I realized What I had said. I squirmed onto my back, swearing like a little sailor.

"I JUST CALLED MYSELF A TINY LITTLE PIPSQUEAK!!!" I exclaimed angrily. We finally climbed out of the vent and jumped onto a long hallway. Scarlett started whistling creepy music as we walked along. "Stop it." I said to her. "Its not like we'll step on a-" spoke too soon. A plate I had stepped on sunk into the ground, causing holes on either side of us to appear. At high speeds, arrows came flying toward me, causing me to run like hell. A few minutes went by like this; me setting off booby traps and Scarlett marking them with her alchemy. GREAT. I think now would be a good time to say no more- damn it. Grabbing Scarlett's hand, running ensued as a large boulder rolled toward us. It's getting closer!! SHITSHITSHITSHIT!!! I tripped, pulling Scarlett into my chest as I rolled to the side.

"Um, I think we're in a tight situation." She joked when the boulder squeezed past us with ease. I blew up once more in her face. I got up, laughing along with her. Suddenly I realized I held my hand out to help her up, and I quickly pulled my hand away, beginning to walk once more.

Scarlett's P.O.V.

Ed held out his hand to me, a smile hidden behind his blonde bangs. Before I could grasp his metallic hand, it pulled away. I looked up to see Ed making his way down the hallway again. What's up with him? We walk in the awkward silence, thinking deeply. The cold, clammy, walls seemed to follow us as we walked along. The light brown concrete beneath our shoes, and the deep grew ceiling above us grew closer, or, so it looked. We finally came to a door, and walked cautiously through the iron portal. What lay before us was a giant transmutation circle, deep stains of crimson on the eight circles intertwined with the large outer circle.

"What the hell..?" Ed kneeled down closer, taking a good look at the circle. A unpleasant chill ran up my spine. We were not alone.

"Edw-" I had not time to warn him before a sharp pain engulfed the side of my ribcage. It pushed me across the room into a pillar, and Edward stood up to face the enemy.

"Nice of you to come." A man's voice echoes through the room. He was protected by an armored suit, and held a long sword out in front of him. Funny, why do I think of Alphonse when I see this man? "I graciously welcome you."

"You don't look so welcoming with that giant sword." Ed growls at the man. He claps his hands and places them onto the ground. Instantly, a iron spear is generated from the earth and Ed pointed it threateningly at the man. I stand up, my left leg feeling weak, like it was about to snap.

"Edward Elric!!" I yell at him motherly. "You do not handle sharp pointy things without my permission!!" He glowered at me angrily, blowing up seconds later. The man swings his sword, snapping the spear like a tooth pick.

"I have been guarding these grounds for years. I guess, Edward Elric, you can call me number 48." The man, 48, said, sounding a little pissed.

"48? Catchy.." Ed echoes, a smirk flashing across his face. "So, you being the guardian and all, you must know a lot about this place."

"Defeat me. Then we'll talk. I've not had a good spar in awhile." 48 mocked Ed. I kept reminding him that this fight meant nothing, and he should ding another way to get information.

"Bring it on. Blade on blade." Ed grinned, using alchemy to bring a blade out of his right, automail arm. Ah shit, now I'm gonna save his tiny ass from that fella. They began to charge toward each other, blades drawn, but I created a tall barrier between the two. Both men looked at me, generally annoyed.