Forty-Two

Owen's p.o.v.

I could tell Tyler was amused by the conversation going on in front of us. To our left was my mom who had a hard look on her face, as she shot question after question at Tyler's mom.

Natasha took it all in stride, even when my mom made a comment about the parenting going on at their house. Natasha completely understood, and didn't understand why her husband, whose name we learned was Jason, reacted so harshly. Not only did she feel guilty, it also put a big divide in the household... and their marriage.

The conversation only died down when the food came, and we started to eat. The silence wasn't awkward, but it was a bit tense. Tyler must have sensed that too, and decided now would be a good time to bring  up his graduation, which sparked both of our parent's interest.

I could tell Natasha was just delighted to talk about Tyler's changed plans. She had no issue at all escorting my mom, and me to both venues. She spoke little of Tyler's father, and at first that made me curious, but as I looked over at Tyler I could tell the smile that took place upon his face was forced.

I almost felt guilty.

If Tyler never met me, his father wouldn't have kicked him out, and he wouldn't have had to choose between his family, or me. As much as Tyler said or acted like it didn't bother him that his father didn't want to celebrate him graduating... or accept him because of me.

The rest of our dinner passed uneventfully. The topic quickly jumping to me graduating before both of our mom's began gushing about how it was to raise the two of us. I learned that Tyler used to like to run around the house naked with only his dad's shoes on his feet, and would cry everytime he had to take a bath, while my mom told Natasha how I sucked my thumb until grade 1. She also gave some detail about how I would rip off my diaper if I didn't have any clothes on.

"Now that you two are done torturing us," Tyler mumbled, bunching up the napkin in his hand, and throwing it onto his empty plate. "Owen and me are going to get some snacks for the movie we're watching tonight."

Natasha smiled, nodding her head before looking over at my mom. "Well it was very nice to meet you, and I hope we can all do this again sometime soon."

My mom stood from her chair, mirroring Natasha's smile. "Of course. We should do something after Tyler's graduation as well. Go somewhere for pictures, and then dinner?"

Natasha's eyes glowed as she brought her hands to her chest. "Of course! Tyler will give you my number."

"Great. We will be in contact."

Tyler tilted his head in the direction of his mother, so I took that as my cue to step beside my mother, and walk to the host booth, where we paid, and left the restaurant to go Tyler's Jeep.

"She's nice, yeah?" My mom said, her hands moving to sign.

"Yeah," I said quietly.

"I'm going to get going. I need to finish up a couple documents for my work so I can get to bed early, are you alright waiting here?"

I nodded my head, wrapping an arm around my mom when she drew me in for a hug. "See you at home."

She kissed the side of my head, inclining her head before turning around. She tucked her purse under her arm, her pony swining from side to side as she walked.

I leaned against the Jeep as I waited for Tyler, my eyes carefully watching those who walked by before I dropped them towards the cement I was digging my shoe into.

"Keep doing that and you'll put a dent in cement," Tyler said. I look up, and over at him, narrowing my eyes teasingly until he stepped up to me. "I'm going to pretend you didn't glare at me. You ready to go?"