Thirty-Three

Tyler's p.o.v

As I walked into Owen's hospital room, my eyes quickly scanned the empty space before I made my way to the chair beside his bed. As usual his eyes were closed, and the majority of his head was wrapped in a white bandage which contrasted against his bruised and battered skin.

Sighing, I ran my hand down my face before slumping forward, and leaning on the bed. I let my hand fall near his, every so often brushing my fingers along his splints. He had three, one on his index finger, one keeping his middle, and ring finger together, while the last was on his pinkie.

His hand was covered in a blue cast as well, that stopped halfway up his forearm, and even more bandages were wrapped up his arm, disappearing into the hospital gown.

"Sir?"

I jolted up, pulling my hands off the bed, and shoving them to my lap as I looked towards the door. "Hello," I said with a nod, watching curiously as she walked towards the bed, peaked under it before checking at his IV, and other needles, and equipment around him.

"You were the donor, right?" The nurse asked, offering me a smile as she went into the attached washroom.

"Yeah, Tyler." I answered, my eyes following her as she came back out with a metal pan filled halfway with water.

Her features flushed with relief, and she also allowed her shoulders to slump forward. "Thank God. The last group of kids I asked that came here at lunch said there was another boy, and so did Ben. I think that's his name anyway." The lady shrugged, offering me a smile before motioning me over. "Mom said everybody should learn how to change his catheter because he will be wearing one when he gets discharged unless he asks for a diaper because it will make it easier for him when he is home."

My brows furrowed, and I shook my head. "I don't think she meant me, but if you need privacy I can go until you're done."

The nurse frowned this time before nodding. Offering a small smile, I got up from the chair, and waited outside the door.

Ms. Randy couldn't have meant me, right? She didn't want me in her house or anywhere near Owen for that matter, so why did I have to learn to change his catheter? Ben would be there for him, and Ben would do it.

And just as I was looking up, I saw the blond man walking down the hall with his phone in his hands, and a small smile on his face. The smile faltered, though, when he saw me standing outside the room.

"What're you doing?" Ben asked, pocketing his phone, and peaking into the room quickly.

I shrugged, licking at my lips, taking a peak myself as the nurse was working under the blankets. "She is changing his catheter."

"And why are you out here? You didn't want to learn?"

"Well, she said I should, but it didn't make any sense. When Owen is out of here I won't be able to see him."

Ben folded his hands across his chest, frowning as if he was understanding what I was saying. "I guess, but she might talk to you about Owen's injuries." Ben shrugged, as if it was just a light suggestion, but I turned on my heals, and left him in the hall.

"You're back, great. I was just wondering if you wanted to know a bit more in depth about his injuries."

"Please," I watched as she dropped the covers, and placed everything back in the pan.

"Let me just go empty this, and we can talk then I will come back and answer any question you might have."

"Thanks." I mumbled, tapping my foot uneasily before shaking my head.