Thirty-Eight

Owen's p.o.v

I sat still as my mom dabbed the cut on the side of my head with a cleaner.

My damp, dark black hair dangled in front of my face, as she worked, but I could already picture her eyes narrowed in concentraction, and her lips pursed.

"Its scabbed over," she said. I wasn't sure if it was to me or Tyler.

When I didn't reply, Tyler walked up beside her to take a peak at it myself. "Well, thats good, right?"

My mom must have nodded. "I mean, it didn't open back up when he took a shower."

I could feel my face heat up, and in that moment I wanted to swat the two away, but I didn't. Instead I watched as Tyler's socked feet tapped on the ground, while my mom stood on her tip toes as she ran a finger over the cut.

As if having my mom to shampoo my hair wasn't bad enough Tyler was right in there as well to help me out of the tub. I hated how they could see everything.

Granted, my skin didn't look as bad as it did when I was first in the hospital. Now a majority of my skin had this weird yellow-ish, brown tinge. Not that I was complaining, though.

"You two better get a goods night rest tonight, because tomorrow is the court date. Finally." My mom said, lifting my head up. "We had to wait another whole two weeks because the people who work in that building couldn't do their job right."

I frowned, not sure what to say. In fact, I didn't want to say nothing. Not today, not tomorrow, or the day after. I didn't want to talk about what happened to me that day in front of a bunch of strangers or see people who witnessed it.

I just wanted these splints, and casts off me.

"Tyler's going to follow us in his vehicle, and after court, I'll follow you guys to the dentist, see what he has to say about the contraption he put in your mouth to help the loose tooth." I cracked a smile, running my tongue along the bumps on the backside of my teeth. "Then Tyler will take you to get these things off," she pointed to my hand, grabbing the thick coverings when I lifted them.

We stayed in the kitchen a while longer, my mom passing me a snack before going to her room to get ready for bed.

Tyler, and I sat on silence. My eyes trailing over the plate before I heard Tyler clear his throat.

My eyes snapped in his direction thinking he was trying to get my attention, but his head was down as he stared at his phone which was laid out flat against the table.

His hair was hanging in front of his face, so I couldn't even see his eyes, but that didn't matter to me. I just wanted to reach over and run a hand through his hair.

I was confused, though, at why he was still here. Didn't he have anything better to do?

Friends to meet.

Girls to hang out with.

A life to live?

Why was he here dragging me back and forth to appointments as if it was his job.

"Why're you looking at me like that?"

I blinked, my eyes focusing back on Tyler who was now staring straight ahead at me.

I could feel my face heat up, but I didn't say anything.

All I wanted to do was to make him like me again. It was a horrible and cruel thought too, but I couldn't help it. He was just always here.

How could I not?

I go to bed seeing him, and wake up seeing him. He helps feed me, bathe me, dress me. He carries me as if I weigh nothing, and he doesn't complain about me.