Chapter 4

I rise from my warm large double bed, with a deep comfy mattress, the following morning, far more refreshed than I thought possible after yesterday's events. I turned to my alarm clock and turned it off pre-emptively before it alarmed and sauntered into the bathroom to start my morning routine. I had a strong hot shower that left me feeling energised and ready to take on the day ahead, and after I washed I wrapped a towel around my body and leaned over the sink to brush my teeth. Once I had patted off my body and scrunched my hair dry, I dressed in a casual pair of blue skinny jeans, black soft fluffy faux suede ankle boots, black long sleeved under top with a pink warm fuzzy jumper over it. Once I was ready, I looked over myself from head to toe in a full-length mirror and approved of my appearance. I wasn't an unfortunate looking girl; I was of average height, toned but with curves in all the right places, my eyes were a bright blue, the colour of a turquoise gemstone. And finally, my most unusual feature is my hair, it is long and wavy as it cascades down my back to my waist, and it is a soft fudge brown colour with snow like white streaks running through from roots to tips.

As I walked by the sofa and made my way into the kitchen area, I found that our mess from last night was all cleared away and Reade had long since left. Bless him, he is such a good guy, and one of my best friends. Reade is a close friend that I met in university a couple of years ago, but his classes were different from mine as his consisted of philosophy and sports, but now that he's graduated he works in his family's business, but he doesn't go into much detail about it. Me and Reade have a very easy but strong friendship that has grown over the years, we have even grown a romantic attraction towards each other, but neither of us is ever brave enough to do anything about it, we just don't want to ruin the easy-going relationship that we have now. He is a very tall and broadly muscular built guy with thick dark unruly hair and deep forest green eyes that always hold a primal flare and hint of mischief.

I head towards the kitchen to prepare some breakfast at the central aisle, before heading off to today's classes. I made myself a couple of slices of toast with lemon curd and a large steaming mug of tea, whilst I checked through my emails. I open an email from the university that I am currently studying my master's at; when I read one in particular I discover that a Dr Webber has been given my details regarding a research position for my course, and requests my presence later on today during break to discuss this opportunity.

***************************************

3F017 is presented on a frosted glass plaque to the right-hand side of a light modern wooden office door, with a Dr P. Webber printed underneath. I take a relaxing breath and reach my fist out towards the door. Knock knock knock. For a moment there is silence and then I am met with a stern and uninterested "enter" in response. I pull the door handle down towards the ground and push open the door into the room. As I do 'enter' into the room I witness before me an airily spacious room, but the large windows to the right of the room are restricted of their full potential since they are covered over with blinds to keep the natural sunlight at bay. Behind the desk sits a tall slender middle-aged man, with an ashen complexion, dark eyes and grey circles under them. In contrast to his physical appearance, he wears a crisp three-piece midnight blue suit with an antique looking red gemmed lapel pin.

"Ah Miss Greene I presume?" He questions towards me as he looks up from his paperwork sprawled across his desk. I simply nod awkwardly in response.

"Please take a seat." He instructs as he gestures to an armchair facing him, on the opposite side of the desk from where he sits.

The next twenty minutes are spent discussing my degree and interests, the research position he knows of and questioning me about my skills and abilities. But then the conversation takes a turn for the bizarre, as he starts questioning my loyalties, my family and past, my opinions on different races, my friends, my thoughts on various matter and superstitions, legends and destinies, and my future. Although weird and very confusing, I answered honestly and he behaved as though desperate for me to work in the position offered, but he also seemed somewhat bemused by my answers given. But he managed to brush it off and I walked away successful in obtaining the work experience position to go towards my masters, in the end, and headed off to my next classes of the day.

After the long exhausting day, and completion of today's classes, I decided a nice hot drink in a comforting atmosphere with those that are like family, is just what I need right now. So, I made my way over to the café I work at. As I walk through the quaint wooden door with a glass window, hooked up to a petite golden bell that chimes upon entry, I am greeted with the exotic aroma of various teas and herbs, the roasted smell of freshly ground coffee beans and the subtle sounds of friendly chatter. Bump. A tall muscular figure carrying a familiar scent runs straight into me coming out the same door I am entering and almost ploughs me right over without a notice that I was even there.

"Hey! Watch it!" I exclaim in shock and frustration.

"Oh, hi Nyah, I'm so sorry I didn't see you." An attractively husky masculine voice, answers.

"Reade? What are you doing here? You've never come to this café before."

"I had something to discuss with Mrs Staffe." The owner. "I thought you weren't working today?!"

"No I'm not working today, but I've just finished classes and thought I'd pop in for a drink." How strange. How does he know when my shifts are?

"Well I have to get off, I'll catch you later ok?!" He answers somewhat urgently.          

Picture from PicClick