Chapter 8: An Adventure at the Zoo

Start from the beginning

"Not gonna force me to get to school like a good kid?", I asked. He went back into the bathroom with the towel.

"I think you should rest and stay out of public spaces for a day. Plus I don't have class tomorrow so we can hang.", he said from the bathroom.

"Oh really? Well, what did you have in mind?"

"Staying in for the day to binge watch some shows!", he said coming out the bathroom.

"I'll pass. But! If you're willing to take me out in public I've been dying to see the new exhibit at the zoo, they just added Chinstrap Penguins!", I said excitedly prancing towards him like a child.

"You're gonna go out in public?", he questioned.

"Yup. Just gonna disguise myself and voila! Nobody will know I'm the girl the Scarecrow kidnapped!"

"No."

"Come on!", I cried. After what felt like an eternity I had accomplished two things, one was convincing Richard to take me to the zoo and the second was losing half my dignity trying to convince him. I'm not going to go into detail about that but it was not fun being Richard's servant.

WEDNESDAY 1:28 PM

We had just gotten to the zoo dressed like a cheesy couple in matching outfits consisting of pink Hawaiian shirts covered in orange flowers, long white jean shorts, Birkenstock sandals with socks, and just to top off the tackiness we each had a fanny pack. I was forced to tie my hair back and wear a white visor so that nobody could recognize me. What a great disguise huh?

"Where to first?", Richard asked. I looked over at the map trying to find the way to the penguins.

"Gift shop!", I yelled excitedly running towards the shop area. Richard caught up and we looked through all the useless junk the store had to offer for large prices and found some actually decent things. We walked out with cameras and sunscreen.

"Hey, can we get some food?", I asked pointing at the food area across the way. Richard nodded and we walked over. Then something caught my eye and my childish self just had to get it. "Oh my God! Richard! Look!"

"What? Don't tell me you want a rental wagon?", he asked.

"Yes! I want!", I smiled running towards the wagons. I rented one and walked over to Richard. He sighed.

WEDNESDAY 2:12 PM

"You don't laugh at one! Just one! Of Mister J's jokes and what does he do? He throws the babies out onto the streets as punishment! And the next day you see them in a commercial for the freakin' zoo! How dare they steal back my babies!", Harley said walking out of the children's play area. Surprisingly she's dressed to blend in with the crowds of civilians. Her outfit consisted of an oversized black and white knit sweater, blue denim shorts, black socks, and red sneakers. Her hair displayed however in her signature pigtails. She had a backpack with her, it couldn't be a good sign.

WEDNESDAY 2:27 PM

After we loaded up on snacks I was given a churro from Richard and we set out to find the Chinstrap Penguins. I was being pushed in the rental wagon by Richard. "Onward to the Discovery Outpost!"

"You sure you know the way?", he asked.

"Yes! I did my research! I know this place like the back of my hand!", I said confidently. A loud blast came from behind and we immediately stopped moving. "What was that?"

"I don't know but we're probably in danger." I sighed and took a bite of my churros.

"I can't even enjoy a day at the zoo without him coming to find me can I?"

"Who? The Scarecrow?"

"No! The Riddler! He's got a weird obsession or something!"

"Well, I'm sure this wasn't him.", Richard said turning the wagon around.

"What makes you say that?", I asked looking at the smoke coming our way. It was blue and pretty much like heavy fog since I couldn't see anything through it. A hoard of people ran past us laughing like maniacs.

"Hold your breath.", Richard said turning the wagon back around. Before the wagon could even move a foot stopped the wheel. A woman with blonde hair pulled me out of the wagon and pointed something at my head.

"You! Tell me where they keep the hyenas in this dump or the girl gets it!", she yelled. Richard took a step closer.

"Okay, just put the gun down.", he said. The smoke was coming in closer and before any of us even knew it Richard was laughing his butt off on the ground. For some reason, I wasn't laughing as well. Something the woman noticed as well.

"Looks like it's your lucky day toots, you're coming with me!", she said pushing me away from Richard. We walked to the gondola lift and she pushed me in. I could see Richard fighting the laughter trying to chase after us. "I heard you say something about knowin this place like the back of your hand. Was it true?"

"Yeah..."

"Good." The gondola ride was quick, we were now in the Northern Frontier where the zoo kept the polar bears.

"The hyenas were back where we came from..."

"Shit!"

"Who are you anyway?", I asked. The laughing gas was sort of the Joker's thing and last I checked he wasn't a woman.

"I'm so rude! I never introduced myself! Harley Quinn! Nice to meet ya!", she said. Harley Quinn? That psychiatrist who went insane after falling for the Joker? Yeah makes sense.

"Well since we're near another gift shop we might as well get disguised before your friend comes looking for you again.", she said pulling me out the gondola. She dragged me into the gift shop with her. The employee stared at us so I tried avoiding eye contact since I was sure I'd seen him at school a few times. Harley was ransacking the place throwing stuffed zebras and snow globes everywhere.

"Excuse me, miss? You're going to have to pay for all those decapitated zebras and broken snow globes!", the teenager behind the counter said.

"Just put it on my tab.", Harley yelled sorting through the clothes. If I made a run for it now would she notice? Probably.

"Attention everyone, please be on the lookout for a blonde woman running around the zoo. She's been identified as Harley Quinn if you see this woman run.", a voice on the speaker announced. The employee ran off, it looked like he peed himself too.

"Hey! Catch!", she yelled. I turned around catching a bunk of junk she tossed my way. "Out that on!" I quickly unbuttoned my Hawaiin shirt and threw the T-shirt she gave me over my tank top. It was pretty loose and tacky. The shirt was all white with the words 'Zoo Crew' written on the chest. I pulled my visor off and slipped a safari hat on and then some sunglasses. Harley did the same to herself and now we both looked pretty weird.

"You stooped to a whole new low when you stole not one but two sleazy zoo tees!", I yelled at her as we walked out of the gift shop.

"Like you've never shoplifted.", she laughed. She started walking off and I followed behind her watching the zoo security run into the gift shop. Good thing we got out when we did!