Making Choices

Snow flew up from the horses' hooves as they sped across the field in full gallop. Their necks stretched out, ears pulled back flat. Sweat was building around the saddles and bridles, despite the icy temperatures.

Feeling her horse beginning to ever so slightly slow down, Jesse dug her heels into his sides, urging him on. The horse obeyed, immediately speeding back up.

"Just hold on." Jesse breathed to the person in front of her, her one arm wrapped around her friend protectively, the other holding the reins.

"We've almost lost them!" Lukas called over from his horse, leaning low over the mare's neck as he urged her on.

Biting her lip, Jesse risked a glance back as well. Sure enough, the mob of angry people were growing more and more distant, as they covered more and more ground.

"We'll cut through the forest." She decided, glancing back over at Lukas. "You take the lead, I don't have both my hands for steering."

Lukas only responded with a quick nod, urging his mare past Jesse's. The horse responded quickly, picking up the pace. Jesse glanced back one more time, before focusing her attention back on the road in front of them.

"You still doing okay?" She asked as they broke through the trees, into the forest.

"F-fine." Petra responded in a raspy voice. Despite her answer, Jesse could tell that her friend was in a lot of pain.

"Here!" Lukas called, pulling on his mare's right rein and riding her into the dense trees.

Jesse followed, sparing one last glance behind her. Fortunately, Lukas knew the forest like the back of his hand by then, effortlessly guiding his horse through the woods.

"We made it!" Jesse gasped in relief, seeing the familiar cave up ahead.

They rode the horses up to the cave's gaping entrance, pulling them up beside it. Lukas was the first to swing his leg over the saddle, simply hooking the horse's reins over a branch to keep her put, before coming over to help Jesse and Petra.

The warrior gritted her teeth in pain as Lukas helped her down from the horse, immediately allowing her to put all her weight on him. Jesse glanced down, gulping thickly at the sight of Petra's blood, staining her clothes and the saddle.

Throwing her leg over the saddle, Jesse leaped down as well. For once not caring to look after her tired steed first, she simply hooked the horse's reins over the same branch as Lukas's horse, following him inside.

Petra hissed in pain as Lukas lay her down on the hard floor of the cave, her hands immediately going to grasp her bleeding side. Sweat was trailing down her pale face.

"I know this hurts, but you're going to have to let us take your chest plate off, okay?" Lukas said to her seriously.

Petra only nodded, shutting her eyes tightly as she removed her hands from the wounded area. Lukas acted quickly, detaching the straps on her chest plate, and carefully removing it.

Both him and Jesse inhaled sharply at the devastating amount of blood soaking their friend's clothes.

"How bad is it?" Jesse asked anxiously as Lukas pressed his hands down on Petra's wound to stop the bleeding, earning a cry of pain from her.

"She's lost too much blood." Lukas said through gritted teeth. "This injury needed immediate care, not a wild ride on horseback."

Jesse raked her hands through her hair, feeling tears burn her eyes. She couldn't loose Petra too, not her best friend. "What can I do?"