Feeling Betrayed

Lukas smiled to himself, feeling his ocelot's tail curl around his leg as the small animal rubbed against him. He bent down, stroking the ocelot's sleek coat and making him purr.

After giving the ocelot a few more pats, Lukas stood up straight again, returning his attention to the list he held in his hands. He almost had everything.

The ocelot jumped on Lukas's bed beside the open suitcase that was lying on it, swishing his spotted tail as he watched his master work around the tiny cabin.

Lukas scratched him behind his ears again as he came walking back to the suitcase with a wrapped package in his hands. The ocelot watched curiously as Lukas placed the package in his suitcase as well, fitting it in neatly like he was merely adding a piece to a puzzle.

Lukas put the list down again, walking back across the cabin to pick up the copy of his latest book. His mouth curved into a fresh smile, feeling excited to eventually share what he had created, with the others.

"No, no." Lukas said, gently shooing his ocelot away from the wrapped package he was pawing at. "That for Jesse's birthday, don't damage it."

The ocelot tilted his heat to the side, twitching his whiskers. The he just yawned, walking over to Lukas's bed's pillow, curling on on it.

Placing the book in as well, Lukas closed to the suitcase. He couldn't wait to leave the next morning.

Walking over to the window, Lukas rested his elbows on the sill and dreamily stared out at the forest. Orange leaves floated down from trees as the wind steadily tore them off. A beautiful autumn afternoon, going on evening.

The next day Lukas would be riding out to Beacontown to meet up with his four friends for the first time in months. Most of the Order members have all gone their separate ways, the exception being Jesse and Petra who were travelling together.

Lukas missed them all dearly, even though he could never imagine giving up the peaceful life in the woods.

A strange, unsettled mewl from his ocelot made Lukas turn around. The ocelot had stood up on the pillow and was now flicking his tail from side to side in annoyance. His fur stood on end.

"What's wrong?" Lukas asked him as the ocelot let out another hiss, staring directly at the door.

Pulling away from the window, Lukas was about to walk over to his ocelot when he heard something. The crunching of leaves beneath what sounded like boots, soon followed by the creaking of his porch's wooden steps.

And then the person knocked.

Lukas frowned, it being the first time he's ever had a visitor all the way out there. In the autumn season as well, who would have gone so far out just to see him? He was going to see all his friends the next day after all, so it wouldn't be them.

The person knocked again, almost hesitantly this time. No doubt they could see that Lukas was home by the smoke rising from his cottage's chimney.

Shaking his head to pull himself back to reality, Lukas walked over to the door. He hesitated slightly, but then unlocked it and pulled it open.

Immediately he took a step back, caught off guard by the person who was standing on his porch.

Their clothes were ragged and filthy like they haven't worn anything else for days, complimenting the dirt on their skin. Skin covered in scars, old wounds that long since been healed. Hair tussled and dirty.

Had it not been for the two familiar green eyes, Lukas might not have recognised the face staring back at them.

"That surprised to see me?" Aiden asked gruffly, shoving his hands back into his pockets. "I don't blame you. How many years has it even been?"