CHAPTER 10: She's Not So Joyful

Start from the beginning

"Where'd you get it from? It's really nice."

"I'm not sure where it's from, it was a gift for my mum."

Moving to the kitchen to get a drink, Chaeyoung hands one to Sooyoung. She's standing by the fridge, staring down one picture in particular. It's a Polaroid of you sandwiched between Chaeyoung and Alice by the water display at Sydney Olympic Park. The light coming in from the window hits Sooyoung's face perfectly as she becomes more fixated on the photo, really emphasizing all the features on her face well as she stares emotionlessly, but the more Chaeyoung looks at her, the more she's reminded of how things played out between the two of them. "What's her name again?"

Chaeyoung doesn't need to ask who she's referring to. Who else would it be? "Y/N." Taking a sip from her glass of water, she motions for them to sit at the dining table.

"You both seem really close," There's a beat of silence. "That cross was from her too, right?" Chaeyoung doesn't say anything, she just lets out a deep sigh. Nodding, she sinks further into the dining chair. Sooyoung's eyes bore into Chaeyoung, wanting to take in her appearance in all of its glory. Make-up free, hair in a slightly tousled bun, your baggy hoodie hanging loosely off her shoulders. "How long have you-"

"What are you doing here, Sooyoung?"

"Is it so bad for me to stop by and visit? I've missed you."

Chaeyoung mindlessly draws little shapes on the table to try and get comfortable, shuffling back in her seat. "Yeah, well, that's not entirely my fault. Shouldn't you be off missing your boyfriend? You know, the one you essentially cheated on me for?"

Those words hit Sooyoung like a car speeding off the highway and into a large tree. Her pride, as well as her heart, were crumbling away faster than she thought possible. "I guess I deserve that."

"You guess?" A bitter chuckle comes from Chaeyoung as she shakes her head a little, not really believing what's going on right now. "너 제정신이 아니구나. (You must be out of your mind)." She's not really angry per se, she's just disappointed and, frankly, laughing at the situation in her mind.

"You're telling me that you don't miss me at all?" Chaeyoung doesn't say a thing, but her phone dings, indicating she's just received a text. Sooyoung looks over at the phone to look at the text notification; it's you.

-FROM- Y/N/N 🥰🥰
Chae... How are you doing? I haven't heard from you much this week.

"Ah, speak of the devil." Chaeyoung quickly grabs her phone and flips it over, hiding the screen away, effectively revealing a Polaroid of you and her squishing each other's cheeks.

"What do you want from me, Sooyoung?" The older girl heaves a sigh, running a hand through her hair. She looks into Chaeyoung's eyes, searching for any kind of look or emotion that'll give Sooyoung a hint that maybe, maybe Chaeyoung does actually miss her; that maybe her being here will bring back some good memories; that maybe Chaeyoung will be able to tell that she misses her a lot; that maybe Chaeyoung wants to kiss her just as badly. "Stop that."

"Do you remember the first time I took you out to the mountains?"

"Yes, we were celebrating our 100 days."

______
"I can't believe we're doing this." Chaeyoung and Sooyoung had packed a bag full of snacks and litres of water to prepare for their hike date. Chaeyoung had always been a bit hermit crab when it came to venturing out on her own and Sooyoung wanted to change that.