I skid to a stop when I see the long drop the hill had. It rolled down into a creek and the mud side was crazy steep. No one could climb up if they fell down, they could only float down the creek and hope for survival. The creek didn't look too deep, but the fall didn't look appealing either. A boom sounds from behind me and I see some mud fly up on the other side of the creek.

"This ends here, Acacia. It's time to come back to me," Jase says, his breath shaky like mine. I turn around to look at him, sweat dripping from his forehead and gun pointed at me. He was trying hard to steady his hand, but it was obvious he couldn't aim directly at me. I look back at the creek and think of my options.

"You won't jump. I know you too well," Jase says, his voice sounding closer. I look back down at the water, the rocks, the sand that stirred when the current passed by.

"I guess we both thought wrong, huh?" I leap off and tumble down the dirt. I could feel the clumps stick to my side as I slide down. My hands claw at the roots and red clay as I do so, trying to grab onto anything. When the ice water hits my feet, I let out a pain filled cry. It was so cold, so torturous. I could hear Jase yelling things at me, telling me how stupid I was, how I was going to regret everything. But I didn't. All I felt was numb.

//

The beast watched the town

Watching and waiting

Heated stares and cold glares

The taste of freedom came at a price

For the beast was all alone

The town was cursed

Yet the beast cried and screamed

Every night in searing agony

Every day in ultimate loneliness

The day the flower came

The beast stopped his cries

The town beamed in delight

The flower started to wilt

//

Smooth instruments fill my ear. The melodies draw me out of the blissful sleep and dull the pain. Pain. That was all I remembered.

I open my eyes to see an old windowsill, the paint starting to peel from the edges. A row of small glass flower pots filled with roses adorns the painted windowsill. I look down at my hands, reaching out to the plants on the dark, fluffy sheets. When I try to move my legs is when the pain starts.