"I thought she was supposed to be performing tonight? Is she not with the other performers?" Jane asked, very confused on how she hadn't noticed the absence of her alcoholic mother.

This was the first time the ringmaster had spoken up. "Relax, Jane. This gentleman is just here because Owen and Al had a disagreement." Jane nodded, unconvinced. "Your mother's fine. gone a spree, no doubt. You know how she is."

"A spree? Without her hat? Her coat? Her purse?" Jane was very confused. Where was her mother? "I've been here all day, and I haven't heard anything from her." 

Jerome nodded in agreement with her younger sister. He turned towards their mother's snake and sighed. "Look at Sheba." His fingers over the cage bars as the snake hissed. He turned his head back towards the group. "She's distraught. She knows something's wrong."

"The snake does seem to be agitated." The police officer agreed. 

"Sir.." The ringmaster walked closer to the man and leaned in. "She's what you call a party girl. Back in the morning with her knickers in a handbag. Sure as eggs." This made Jane uncomfortable as she exchanged a look with Jerome, who rolled his eyes at the ringmaster's words. Her brother moved closer to Jane and wrapped his arm around her - weird behavior for Jerome. Jane's suspicion of her brother grew. 

The man didn't seem to like what the ringmaster was saying to him. "But she didn't take her handbag, did she?" He turned back to the siblings. "How fast does an animal like that move?"

"Um, fast walking pace," Jerome replied. "They rely on surprise, mainly."

"Let her out."

Jerome frowned. "I'm sorry?"

The man repeated himself. "Let her out." 

Jerome left Jane's side as he reached for the cage and unhooking the lock. The door to the cage swung down and the snake started its slither out, looking for the Valeska mother. Sheba, the snake, moved farther and farther from the group, leading them towards something. The group started the follow, eager to see where they would end up.

Sheba lead them to the back of a truck. She slithered her way up hay and under a tarp. Jane glanced at her brother to see a face of confusion one. However, she wasn't fully convinced it was real yet. Jane focused her attention back on the snake as the officer moved towards the tarp, ripping it off to reveal Jerome and Jane's mother dead. 

Jane's heart dropped. "Oh...my god."

Next to her, Jerome started to wailing and falling to his knees - odd behavior for a man who hated his mother. Jane was still in shook, unsure how to feel. How did this happen to her mother? Who did this to her? 

--------------------------

The second Jerome and Jane made it back to their family trailer, Jane knew she had to confront her brother about her suspicion. Jerome had went back to his normal behavior and flopped back onto the couch. 

"Jerome, what happened there?" Jane questioned sternly.

The sides of his mouth turned upward as he glanced at his sister. "Our dear mother was killed, Jane. Boy I do hope they catch the son of a bitch who did it."

Jane had to admit - She had a very bad feeling about what had happened to her mother. "Jerome.. Do you know what happened to her? Do you know who did it?"

Jerome laughed loudly, the same obnoxious crazed laugh he always did. "Why yes, dear sister, I do know who." He stood and closed the distance between the siblings. "I killed her."