chapter nine

I could tell he was hesitant, much like I was when he offered a way into his mind, but I was okay with letting him inside my head. I couldn't deny that a part of me was beginning to trust the blue-eyed boy.

"I can let you, if you want." I shrugged the best I could while I was laying down. "I guess you could call it a perk of being Orange. Not only can I get in your head, but I can let you in mine."

   "I willing to, but only if you're comfortable with me prying around." I chuckle slightly at his words.

   "I'd still have control over what you see, you couldn't sift through my brain even if you tried. If anything I'd have to let you do it." I explain, making little hand gestures while I talked. "But, I'm okay with you going in my head."

"Alright." Liam agreed simply.

"It—It'd be easier if I held your hand or something. Just for a connection, it makes it a bit easier." I tell him. He chuckles and grabs my hand, intertwining his fingers with my own.

I took a deep breath and let my eyes turn a bright orange color. "Close your eyes." I say quietly. He obeys silently and I follow his action.

Focusing back on the memories of how I got into camp, I let my mind link with Liam's, allowing him to experience what I did in a way.

"We were told to tell you if she was acting odd or if something weird happened. We just want our daughter to be safe." My mother and father sat in two chairs at a desk as they talked to a man in a suit.

   "Don't worry. I assure you, she's in good hands. We'll just be running some tests and you'll be able to come pick her up in a day or two. No big deal." The man shrugs, trying to make the situation seem less serious.

   According to my mother when we were in the kitchen a few days ago, my eyes turned a bright blue and a soda can flew from the countertop to the other side of the room. I guess she considered that weird or odd.

   My father's hand was held in a tight grip by my mother causing part of her knuckles to turn white.

   "Okay then. We've just got to get her bags from the car and she'll be set." After that I was left in the room by myself with only my Nintendo to keep my company, until I was smothered by my parents enveloping me in a hug once they'd returned.

   The Nintendo was dropped to the small couch I was sitting on as I wrapped my short arms around both of their shoulders best I could. I wasn't exactly happy about being separated from the two people I loved the most in this world, even if it was for just a few days.

   "Emily, sweetheart, daddy and I'll be back in a few days to come and get you, okay? Until then, you're going to be okay here. Alright?" My mother ran her hands up and down my arms in a comforting manner after we had separated from the hug. My dad nodded to show that he approved and agreed of what was being said.

"After all this is done with, what do you say we go to the ball field? We can get a start on practice before your season starts." My dad offers, making me grin with excitement and nod my head rapidly. I'd been playing softball for the last couple years, it was something dad and I did together. He'd practice with me so I'd be ready for little league tryouts.

"Okay. Sounds like a plan. We'll see you in a few days, then." My parents gave me another hug, telling me they loved me multiple times.

"I love you guys, too." I said as they got up and bid goodbye to the man at the desk and left.

"Alright, Emily." The man smiled. "Let's get you settled in. Who knows? Maybe you'll make a friend while your here." The man grabbed my two small bags my parents had dropped off and led me out the door and down a long hallway.

At the end of the hallway, there was an elevator with a sign next to it.

AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY. The sign read. I watched as he tapped the keypad next to the metal doors, punching in a few numbers that I couldn't see.

"C'mon." He gestured into the elevator and clicked a button with the number negative one on it. It confused me slightly; I'd never seen an elevator with that kind of numbers.

   We stood there in silence until the doors opened to the different level. We were almost instantly greeted by what was most likely a doctor; the white coat he wore and stethoscope around his neck gave it away.

"Hello." He greeted and turned to me. "You must be Emily Collins. I'm Dr. Shawl." He held out a hand and I shook it. "I can take her from here. Her results will be send to you shortly." Dr. Shawl tells the man who nods and hands my bags to the doctor, steps back in the elevator, and leaves.

"Alright, Emily. Follow me, please." I listen and follow him as he leads me down a short hallway and into a room with several bunk beds. "You'll be sleeping here on the bottom bunk." He shows me to a bunk in the corner of the room and sets my bags next to it. "I'll give you a few minutes to get settled and then I'll come back to get you for your first test."