Chapter II-Her

The moon came back to life.

Her hand was a bridge meant to connect the sacred to the profane world. Her eyes were gates, her soul was the bribe, one wrong step could lead to massive pain.

''I am fine.'', I said getting myself up.

Her cheeks turned red, two intense petals of a poppy. I watched her hands retreating behind her back. I started to clean up some non-existent dirt from my clothes as my mind was analyzing the next move. I had a strange desire to read her thoughts, but for this certain task, my hands needed to touch her forehead. I swallowed trying to look in the opposite direction.

''You don't speak too much, do you?''

A glimmer of sadness has crossed her beautiful face. Hazel eyes, freckles and a small nose you could consider arrogant. I watched as her pointing finger landed on the lips, making the sign of silence. I immediately felt the desire to punch myself.

''Forgive me, miss! I am helplessly stupid sometimes.''

The wind disturbed her reddish curls, spreading them all over her head. It was something wild about this creature, that kind of untamed beauty. Her locks reminded me of a tornado of aburn rusted leaves, her eyes were infinite galaxies, her soul... I couldn't possibly describe it. I had to hold myself apart from this creature before the interest becomes an obsession, even though I desired one last thing.

''I need to know your name. Could you please tell.. I mean let me know your name?''

She giggled before disappearing in the depths of the forest. I remained put, a bit confused. Has my request bothered her? After a couple of seconds, she came back just to wave her hand in sign of following. The strange girl became even stranger in my eyes. She began to run as if we were being followed. The howl of a wolf far away, the stars shining brighter than ever. That night has been brought to life just by bringing her to it. Her spirit was light, her smile was chasing away every single cloud in the sky. My interest was aroused to its fullest. She has stopped suddenly, making me close to falling.

''Take it easy, lady...'', I said, trying to regain my breath.

As a soul reaper, I don't need to boost my physical condition. This is basically the reason why my skin was pale as the moon and translucid as a parchment. My arms were the only strong point.

The girl tried to take my hand into hers, but I gave myself back instinctively. She rolled her eyes before putting her hand on a random's tree bark. I raised an eyebrow.

''So?''

She was getting more and more nervous. It was something scratched in the tree, a writing.

''A-L-M-A'' I spelt, as the girl began to clap. ''Is this your name?''

She nodded affirmatively.

''Remarkable!''

The silence has shortly gotten between us again, filling up the void created by space, by air. I wish I could have analyzed her more without it being extremely weird. I had the power to make her fall asleep, but I felt like involving my powers into that game would mean cheating and I wanted to keep it as real as possible. You see, this person was an odd mixture of sacred and profane. Nothing about her was usual, but at the same time, I couldn't sense any kind of presence from the supernatural. The fact that she couldn't speak was another proof she was as clean as she could have got. Alma lifted a sharp rock from the ground and started to scratch something.

''N-A-M-E? My name?''

Another nod.

''Hades as the Greek God.''

She applauded once again, smiling.

''G-O-O-D O-R E-V-I-L?''

I smirked.

''Life isn't always black or white. Some of us choose grey... You shouldn't be wandering around these places at night, Alma. It's too risky.''

''F-R-I-E-N-D. Am I your friend?''

Nod, nod.

''Then you should be considering the advice of a friend.''

''U-N-P-O-L-I-T-E F-R-I-E-N-D.''

''Oh well... sorry for being a jerk, miss. Where could my manners be?''

I approached her slowly as I was giving her my hand.

''Here. A proper presentation. I am Hades. Nice to meet you, strange lady!''

She giggled again and again as our hands touched. A struck of lighting through them, a deep feeling of deja vu, the beginning of a certain obsession. My heart started racing as the blood flow went crazy. So, so many things to prove me I was human, so many weaknesses to make me a monster with feelings. Her earrings made a sound, the pair of bells, the smell of hardwood everywhere.

The sun was fighting the moon.

It has almost risen and the words couldn't stop flowing. It felt as if we had known each other for an eternity already as if we were old friends who have met again after a very long time.

''I H-A-V-E T-O G-O...''

Her eyes were even sadder than the time she had told me she couldn't speak. Without too much thinking I placed my finger under her chin, forcing her to look into my eyes.

''Meet me here tomorrow. Please, Alma... Promise me you would!''

Nod, nod, nod. Even though I needed to let go of her, my hands were playing the fool. My eyes were holding hers in captivity, digging for every bit of soul I couldn't analyze.

''You are beautiful, Alma... Has anyone ever told you that?''

She stood there. No more nodding, no more scratching the bark of the trees. Her attention was mine to command.

''Promise me you'll come back and I'll let go of you.''

Nod.

I smiled.

The sun was a pain in the ass.

Maka was there when I came back as if nothing had happened.

''Sneaky little bastard...'' I muttered as I was preparing the arrow for a future battle.

''Take me on an eating date, Master! ''

I rolled my eyes.

''Next time do me a favour and stop drawing the attention of human beings. ''

''Not even if they are... girls?''

''Even worse!''

Blue eyes haven't been created for sunlight.

''What's the task for today, Maka?''

''Fresh meat in town. This rich guy has acquired a new mansion not far from here.''

''Accusation?''

''Involved in a stainless crime against an innocent. The detectives have absolutely no evidence.''

''Good enough.''

....... ...... ......

Alma=soul(from Italian)