Well, Hope Got Me Nowhere

(In which Peter gets kicked out and needs a place to crash. Takes place a month after Homecoming.)

Peter's POV

This is disgusting, I thought as I cleaned up the overwhelming amount of litter on the sidewalk in my Spiderman suit. I wondered how people let the garbage pile up like this without a second thought, not caring about the repercussions.

Another night, another patrol. Though nothing eventful happened that night, I didn't want to go home without doing something useful. I also didn't want to go home in general.

May found out.

She found out the secret identity I hid from her for a whole year, and she was beyond mad right now. If I went home, she'd kick me out. She needed time to let the news settle in, to calm down.

Despite the nervous aching feeling in my chest, the knowledge that my aunt would come around overruled any fear I possessed. We're our only family, after all. There's no way this would split us apart.

I collected the rest of the trash on the sidewalk next to the hospital, throwing it in the proper disposal.

I swung to the small, cramped apartment I call home, dreading the talk with May.

I hoped my guardian had enough time to consider my side of things. I hoped she wasn't disappointed in me. I hoped she still loved me.

Landing on my window, I slid in discreetly as I had many times before. My aunt was expecting me, walking to the door to my bedroom as soon as she heard it open.

"Peter," she said, her tone icy. "We need to talk."

I gulped. "C-Can I get changed, first?"

***

I leaned against the door outside the apartment building, tears cascading down my cheeks. Well, hope got me nowhere.

After the shouting match that occurred, she shoved a backpack into my hands and told me to "Go stay with that rich guy, if he means so much to you!"

I felt numb until the door closed behind me. This was almost as bad as losing Uncle Ben.

Shakily, I shuffled around in my pocket and pulled out my phone. My finger scrolled to a person who would care.

My best friend Ned.

"It is I, Fedora Man," said Ned's recording. "Leave a message, if you dare." Beep.

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. I hastily hung up and exhaled.

I called the next person who would care.

My best friend MJ.

"Why do you disturb my slumber?" MJ said groggily.

"O-oh, I'm sorry. Go back to sleep."

"Nah, sleep is for the weak."

"You were just sleeping--"

"What do you want, loser?"

I hesitated. "Uh, I got... I got kicked out." Tears threatened to return, but I held them back.

"What? Why? When?"

"B-because of reasons, and like ten minutes ago."

"Where are you gonna stay?"

"May mentioned that I should go live with Mr. Stark, but--"

"Have you called him yet?" MJ was alert now.

"No, but---"

"Call him, or I will."

"I'm not calling him, MJ. He doesn't- he can't- ugh, you don't understand." I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed.

The line went dead.

"MJ? MJ?? Ah, geez." I pocketed my phone, putting my face in my hands. What a mess.

***

By the time my phone started buzzing, I was strolling aimlessly on the busied sidewalks. The loud noises continually built up my nerves, making me on edge, fiddling with clammy hands.

With the first vibration came a mixture of dread and confusion. I didn't want to go anywhere, I just wanted to wander more, clear my head. But my curiosity got the better of me. I raised the phone to my ear with a sigh.

"Pete, what's this I hear about you not having a place to crash?" A concerned Tony Stark asked. How the heck did MJ get his number??

"It's nothing, Mr. Stark, really." I lied.

"I want you to come to my location. You don't have to stay long, just so you have a bed to sleep in."

"...okay." My voice sounded small.

"See you soon."

The device slipped back to its home in my pocket. I exhaled, my breath transforming into a smoky mist. I chuckled as I remembered pretending to be a dragon with Uncle Ben on a brisk January morning.

Brought back to reality, I trudged to the Compound where I would inevitably meet up with my hero.

***

Upon my arrival, Mr. Stark put an arm around me and guided me inside.

"Mr. Stark, I--" I shakily began.

"Don't. I know what you're gonna say. What have we said about apologizing?"

A sigh escaped my lips. "To not do it..."

"Your friend TJ told me all about what happened."

"You mean MJ?"

"Whatever. Point is, mi casa es tu casa. Make yourself welcome."

"Thank you, Mr. Stark."

"No problem." A gentle smile graced Stark's features, crinkling his hardened eyes at the edges.

I gestured to the couch. "So, can I crash here?"

"For now," he replied with a smirk, "until your room is done being refurbished."

"whAT? M-my-- I have a room?!"

"Yeah. Get used to it, kid, 'cause you're staying here awhile. At least till your Aunt comes to her senses--"

I hugged him tightly before he could say another word. I had no idea just how compassionate Tony Stark was. I mean, sure, he gave me an expensive suit and we shared a few "tough-love" moments, but his attitude was always casual, so I didn't think he actually cared all that much.

After a few seconds, I backed off, regret overcoming my gratitude.

"Sorry, I--"

"Don't worry about it, kid." Mr. Stark cut in, shaking himself out of his thoughts. "Uhh, I have Hulu and Amazon Prime, you can watch something on there."

I hesitated. Then, "Sure thing!" I rushed to the couch.

About thirty minutes into The Office, Mr. Stark strolled in.

"Want some ice cream?" He asked.

"Oh, uhm, sure?" I answered timidly.

"Alright." He opened the fridge and fished out the chocolate kind.

"Hey, Mr. Stark?"

"Yeah?" He scooped some into a bowl.

"Wanna... watch The Office with me?"

Tony chuckled. "Why not?" He handed me the bowl and took a seat next to me, settling in.

When I said my update schedule is random, I meant I may or may not disappear every once in a while. I get sucked up in schoolwork and stuff. Thanks for ur patience!