Spider-Man Doesn't Kill

(In which Peter finds who he is looking for, and Tony has to hold him back.)

(Warnings: death, time travel, and angst. Have fun with this one...)

Peter's POV

"So, wait, all you have to do is a spell?" I inquired.

"Yes," Dr. Strange affirmed. "But remember, if you ever need to escape, speak the code words, and you will be taken back to the present."

"Yeah." I bit my cheek, deep in thought for a moment.

I was informed of my Aunt's murder by a caring Mr. Stark about three or four days ago. Needless to say, I felt pretty crappy about the last living relative I swore to protect being gone. But I couldn't focus on that just yet.

I had to get revenge first.

When Ben died, the first thing I thought to do was pursue his killer. I never found him, and instead saved a random man from being mugged in an alley. Thus, Spider-man was born.

I'm not letting them get away this time. I don't care how long it takes. Plus, there's a trick up my sleeve.

Time travel.

"Under no circumstances," Dr. Strange said, pulling me out of my thoughts, "Should you consider saving your Aunt."

His words hit me like a sack of bricks. "Wh..what?"

The doctor sighed. "I realize it's hard, losing people. But any disruption to the past could cause serious consequences." His eyes saw through mine, and he spoke both softly and firmly at once. "The purpose of my help is to allow you to find out who the killer is, nothing else. Understand?"

I took a shaky breath, but I knew he was right. Geez, this was gonna be hard... however, I still gave a hesitant nod and he waved his hands in a circular motion, causing the stone in his necklace to glow.

Here we go.

***

I slammed my shrieking alarm, groaning. Where am I?

I checked my phone. Only a few days from the present.

"Peter! I'm going to work! Don't be late!" I heard my late Aunt yell. My heart lunged painfully. I missed her so much already, and she's right there! In the kitchen!

I scrambled out of bed, wanting to see her again. I blinked. Wait... I can't change the past. So what did I do this morning?

I racked my brain. I had an English exam today, and I was late to school because... I went back to sleep. I didn't talk to May until I came home.

Then she went to the grocery store, and I never saw her again.

What I wouldn't do to take it back...

I shook myself out of a trance. Gotta go back to sleep, I thought, and go through one school day. Then I can find whoever did this, and give them what they deserve.

***

At school, I was restless. I tried to act the same as I did that day, remembering responses to jokes and such. It was hard, and MJ gave me a few weird looks. But other than that, no one was suspicious at all.

I got home from school, and... there she was. Sitting, watching TV.

She looked at me and smiled. "Hey, kiddo. I was just wrapping up. Gonna go grocery shopping, drop it off here, and get back to my shift. You wanna come along?"