Chapter 71 - Midon and Linky at Hyrule Castle

Summary: Midon and Linky begin their classes at Hyrule Castle, and it gives them a chance to grow closer. Linky shares his feelings with Midon about his place in the family. Princess Zelda shares some thoughts of her own with Linky. Mipha and Link briefly discuss their plans.

It was their first day of class at Hyrule Castle, and Midon and Linky briefly wished each other good morning as they prepared to go their separate ways. Midon was headed to breakfast with the other trainees in a room set aside for that purpose. Linky was getting the royal treatment, joining Princess Zelda and her family for breakfast.

"I'm feeling a bit nervous," said Linky. "I'm not used to being alone with such important people."

"Take a deep breath, Linky," said Midon. "I understand that works to calm Hylians. And let me help you think about this. Dad is one of the most important people in the recent history of Hyrule. Don't you realize that? And Mom is next in line to be Zora ruler and a Champion. You've been living among important people your whole life. Don't feel intimidated. And besides, Linky, everyone here likes you. Just be yourself, and you'll do fine."

"I guess you're right," said Linky.

They hugged and then headed off.

When he arrived, Midon was the only Zora at breakfast. There were four other trainees: three Sheikah and a Rito. The breakfast was buffet style and included some fresh fish, of which Midon took a generous portion. The three Sheikah trainees seemed to know each other already and were sitting together, but the Rito was sitting by himself. Midon sat down next to the Rito, and they introduced themselves.

"Hello, I'm Midon, and you are?" said Midon.

"Tanlon," said Tanlon. "Pleased to meet you. It looks like you and I are the strangers and the big fish eaters here."

Tanlon also had a generous helping of fish on his plate.

"Yes, it does," laughed Midon. "But fish comes naturally to both of us, doesn't it?"

"I'm excited about the class. How well did you finish in the rune competition?" said Tanlon. "I finished fifth."

"I finished third," said Midon.

"Congratulations!" said Tanlon. "I think we are the top five finishers in the contest, or at least that had something to do with our selection. I heard that Dr. Purah herself will be speaking to all of us for our first day of class. I have heard a lot about her from some of the people in my village."

"Yes," said Midon. "I have heard her mentioned several times as well. I gather she is quite talented."

After breakfast, everyone adjourned to a classroom and took a seat. The instructor, Dr. Phanlon, was present and he addressed the class.

"Welcome, all of you, to this year's trainee class," said Dr. Phanlon. "This is my third year teaching this class, and each time I find it fascinating to see how each student's talent develops. We will be spending a month working together, and in the end, you will be capable of doing some amazing things with the tools you will have. I urge you to work hard. As is customary on our first day of class, the head of our science department, Dr. Purah, will speak to you and take questions. So, without further ado, please welcome the head of the Hyrule science department, Dr. Purah."

Dr. Purah entered the room. She was a bit younger looking than Midon expected, but certainly not the child his father had mentioned in one of his stories about his old timeline. Purah got straight to the point.

"Welcome, all of you, to this special opportunity," said Purah. "You were selected based on the talent we saw in your work, and we want to build on that talent and give you a deeper understanding of Sheikah technology and the ability to work with it and both develop and evaluate runes of increasing complexity. You should understand that this month-long class is only intended to get you started. There is still a great deal for you to learn afterward. But this class will give you the foundation you need to move on. Dr. Phanlon is a Sheikah scientist from North Hyrule and an excellent instructor. I have personally worked with him on some projects and can vouch for his capability. I want to give you my brief perspective on Sheikah technology, greet all of you, and give you a chance to ask me any questions."