Chapter 14 - Anniversary Surprises

Link awoke early. The sun was beginning to rise, and the Domain was quiet. Mipha was still asleep. He looked over at her and smiled. She looked so beautiful and peaceful. Today was their one-year anniversary. Since it was a weekend, they had promised Sidon an early picnic together. But he wanted to surprise Mipha first thing in the morning while they still had some alone time.

He carefully got up from the waterbed and tiptoed to his desk where he had hidden his present. Kyra had come through for him and the pendant he had ordered arrived on time. It had ended up costing 3500 rupees, which he thought was a reasonable price for its artistry. Kyra must have driven a hard bargain with the Starlight Memories jewelry shop in Gerudo Town. He took the gift out and left it with a note for Mipha on the table. Then he crept back into bed and lay there quietly.

After a while, Mipha stirred, then opened her eyes. She looked over at Link and smiled. She rubbed his hair and said, "Good morning sweetheart. Have you been awake for a while?"

He put his arm around her. "Not very long," he said. He looked into her amber eyes and smiled. She looked into his eyes and smiled back. She was probably waiting for him to show he remembered what day it was, he thought.

"Happy anniversary darling," he said. "I hope you didn't think I would forget."

"Happy anniversary," she said as they exchanged a kiss. "I didn't think you would. But I'm glad you remembered. And by the way, I wasn't going to accept any memory loss excuses. Let's get up - I have something for you."

They got up, Mipha went over to a drawer and pulled out a package.

"Happy anniversary," she said handing him the package. "I hope you like it."

He unwrapped the bundle and inside was an elegant blue and silver tunic. The fabric was blue, and there was some delicate silver embroidery in places.

"I made it myself," said Mipha. "It's something to wear when you don't need to wear Zora armor or swim up waterfalls."

"I love it," said Link. "It looks perfect. Let me try it on."

He pulled on the tunic, and it fit perfectly. The material was soft but sturdy and very comfortable.

"You look good in it," said Mipha. "It took a while to make since I had to work on it when you wouldn't see me."

"Thank you! But I have something for you too," said Link. He went over to the table and handed Mipha the package and note he had written.

She read the note first. "Sweetheart, Thank you for the many beautiful moments together and the happiest year of my life. With all my love now and forever, Link."

"That is so sweet," she said kissing him. "You're going to make me cry."

"Open the gift," he said. "I hope you like it."

She opened the package, and her mouth opened when she saw the pendant. The sapphires sparkled a deep blue and the gold shined brightly in the morning light.

"Oh Link, this is so beautiful! I can't wait to put it on," she said.

He helped her with it and secured the clasp in the back. She looked in the mirror. The pendant was perfect, and she loved it.

"Thank you, sweetheart," she said. "I love it. But this must have cost a fortune. You didn't need to spend so much on a gift."

"I wanted to get something suitable for my princess," said Link. "And I got a good deal from the Gerudo jewelry shop."

"I'm going to wear this all day," she said. "I love it!"

She went over to him, and they kissed again.