Chapter 28 - The Zora's Sapphire

Summary: An ancient text holds a clue to Princess Ruto's long-lost Zora's Sapphire.

Mipha and Link were sitting together arm-in-arm in one of the small sheltered structures in Zora's Domain, watching an unusually heavy rain splash across the plaza. It was that pleasant time of day they had to themselves, between the time the children left for school and before the day's tasks began. King Dorephan had asked to see them later that morning, but they still had some free time. Link rubbed his hand gently up and down Mipha's shoulder. She looked over at him and smiled.

"This is nice, sitting here with you," said Link. "You know I love the sound of rain, and you know I love you."

"Yes, I know, sweetheart," said Mipha. "You could have reversed the order of your feelings, but I agree it is cozy sitting here together."

Mipha rubbed her hand across his forehead and through his hair. They kissed once, and then both turned back to look at the rain. It was a steady downpour, puddles forming everywhere. Any uncovered water was bubbling wildly, pelted by the large raindrops. The plaza was empty. Zoras generally don't mind the rain, but this one was strong enough for everyone to seek shelter.

"Do you know what Father wants to meet with us about?" said Link.

"No, but he told me it has something to do with Princess Ruto," said Mipha.

"Princess Ruto? That was ages ago," said Link. "Why would he want to see us about that?"

"I don't know. I'm glad you remembered at least that much history from your citizenship test. But how much do you know about Princess Ruto?"

"Well, according to what I remember, Princess Ruto aided the Hero of Time to defeat Ganon and became a sage. Right?" said Link.

"Right, as far as it goes," said Mipha. "For the citizenship test, they don't expect you to learn as much Zora history as you do in school. And I had a strong personal interest in her story, so I looked into it more. I was wondering when you were studying about Princess Ruto if you would appreciate the similarities to our situation. But I guess you were too busy memorizing things."

"Well, aside from the fact that Princess Ruto fell in love with the hero and gave him what she considered an engagement present, a sapphire jewel which my anniversary gift was modeled after, what else is parallel?"

"Yes, your gift is beautiful. I love wearing it. All that is part of the story," said Mipha. "And all of it is history. But history was recorded based on what people wrote about or spoke to others about who, in turn, recorded it. That included stories told by the Hero of Time. Now consider our history. We know what happened from our knowledge, but you tell us, and I don't doubt it is true that there was another timeline where Ganon triumphs at first, and it takes over one hundred years for you and Princess Zelda to finally set things right. And then it took several more years after that to create the timeline we are in now. So, should we consider your experience saving Hyrule at first as history? Or just a story? The notes you took of all the events in your original timeline, are they history or fiction? You can attest that they happened, and your story is believable to those you told. You did prove to the Champions and Zelda that you came from the future. And we wouldn't be where we are today if it didn't happen. So, if your experience saving Hyrule the first time is recorded, as it will be, then it becomes part of Hyrule's history. But our current timeline is history as well. That seems contradictory since one timeline replaced another. But it isn't if you consider that events of both timelines happened and were, or will be, recorded for posterity."

"The same thing is true of the Hero of Time and Princess Ruto," Mipha continued. "The hero of that era claimed he had returned from seven years in the future where he defeated Ganon with the help of sages, one of whom was Princess Ruto. His information from the future led to the Hyrule royal family imprisoning Ganon. But the story he told of how he saved Hyrule and the role of the sages was recorded too. Legends say the Hero of Time's spirit passed on his combat secrets to the Link you met in your Twilight Realm adventure. By the way, you might have learned more if you spent more time talking with the Hero of Twilight and less time drooling over Princess Midna."