You and Me, Forever

Riley nervously looked over at Maya.
"So can I talk to you or do you just want to walk to class in silence?" She asked looking away from her again.

Maya sighed. "Up to you. You're the one who doesn't want to talk to me."

"That's not true. I want to talk to you. I miss talking to you. I just- I don't want to say the wrong thing and upset you."

"I'm already upset. I've been upset." Maya let out a breath. "I don't want to be upset anymore. I almost-"

Riley frowned. "Lucas said that you did something he couldn't tell me about. Is it the same something you used to do?" She asked worried.

Maya nodded. "Yeah, but I didn't. I texted Lucas instead and he came over and we talked all night. I cried." Maya rolled her eyes. "And he held me, but you don't want to hear that." She sighed and shook her head.

"No, I do. I want to hear that he made you feel better when I wasn't there for you because he wants you to be happy and I want you to be happy. Maya, I'm sorry, and I know what I'm sorry for now. I'm sorry that you felt like my happiness mattered more than yours. I'm sorry I made you feel that way. You need to feel things, Maya. You need to feel whatever it is you feel for him, just like I told you in Texas. You need to dream dreams because you are going to get everything you want in life, including Lucas. He is yours, Maya, not because I am stepping back or giving him to you or anything like that, but because he loves you and he chose you. You and Lucas, I get it now. I wasn't upset about Lucas chosing you over me, I'm happy for you. I was upset because I was scared that I was going to lose you. I was scared that you would want to spend time with your new boyfriend more than me. I was scared of change. I don't want us to ever grow apart. It's you and me, forever, Maya. Best friends forever?"

Maya didn't say anything. She just listened, but when she knew Riley was finished she let a small smile take over her blank expression. "You and me, forever, until the day we-" Maya put her hand over her heart. Riley smiled and did the same. "Blech."

They started laughing and Maya swung her arm around Riley. Riley stomach growled and Maya sighed.

"Riles?"

Riley smiled. "Yes, Peaches?"

"Eat something before I hurt you."

Riley giggled and moved away from Maya to walk over to the vending machine near by. She put in a few dollars and got herself a power bar.

"Happy?" She took a bite, chewed it, and swallowed it. "Ahh." She stuck out her tongue making Maya smile.

"Very. Thanks to Lucas and you. I will always love you, Riles. Lucas being my boyfriend doesn't change that."

Riley noticed how Maya's eyes lit up when she called Lucas her boyfriend and she giggled, then she frowned.

"Maya?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't hurt yourself, ever again, not because of me or anyone else."

Maya sighed. "I can't. Lucas took my lighter." She chuckled. "I won't."

They linked their arms and walked to class ignoring that they were late and just enjoying that they were happy.