It's No Big Deal

"Riley, I saw that." Zay said walking up to her. He grabbed herr arm and pulled her over to the bench.

"It's no big deal." She shrugged.

He gaped at her. "No big deal? Girl, you threw away bacon! This is a crisis situation!" He shouted out.

"Shh." Riley flinched.

Zay turned to her and sighed. "What's with you not eating? How long you been doing that? And if you say since the ski lodge I'll have to hit you."

Riley sighed. "It's no big deal, but yes. I just haven't felt like eating lately."

Zay frowned. "Riley, we came back from the ski lodge last weekend. That's four days without eating. That's insane girl. Food is too tasty to not eat it. Plus you need those neutrons that Farkle was talking about." He stated.

Riley giggled. "Nutrients."

Zay gave her a smile. "I know. I just wanted to see you smile again, but seriously Riley, it's dangerous to start that habit. You have to eat girl."

"I know. I do. I just don't feel like it."

Zay frowned. "If this is about Lucas Maya is gonna hit you and then I am. You can't just stop eating because your best friend is dating the guy you like, Maya is right, that's stupid."

Riley sighed. "It's not about Lucas. It's about Maya. I cry every night now and last night I just kept crying until I fell asleep. That's never happened before. But I'm so sad and worried that I'm gonna lose Maya." She cried.

Zay put an arm around her. "Then talk to her Riley. She is really upset that you won't talk to her anymore."

Riley sniffed. "I don't know what to say to her." He rubbed her arm.

"What about that stuff you said in Texas? That was pretty good."

"I have to be completely honest this time and if I am I might say the wrong thing and then Maya will dump Lucas and then she'll resent me."

Zay nodded. "I see. You don't feel like eating cause your tummy is all filled with guilt and worry because you don't want what happened in Lucas' world to be our reality. You want Lucas and Maya to be happy."

Riley sighed and nodded. "My guilt makes me feel like throwing up and I don't want to add food to that."

"Okay, well Dr. Zay is here, and he says first you need a hug." He said wrapping his arms around her. "And then we're gonna sit together at lunch and you are gonna eat a nice plateful and talk to your best friend."

"Thanks Zay, but what if I upset her? The last thing I want to do is hurt Maya. I don't want to be one of the reasons that she gives up, you know she does that a lot, and then she acts okay, but I know she isn't. I'm scared. All this relationship stuff is new and it's affecting our friendship. What if I mess up and lose Maya forever?"

Zay wiped a fallen tear off Riley's cheek. "Hey Ri, come on, it'll be alright." He gave her a reassuring smile. "Unless you never talk to her again then it will end badly. You have to talk to her, and this time, please, just be honest about how you feel."

Riley didn't smile, but she nodded. "Okay, I'll talk to her at lunch."

"Annnnnd.."

Riley chuckled. "And I'll eat lunch."

Zay grinned widely. "Atta girl."

Riley smiled and rested her head on his shoulder for a moment. "We missed a whole class already."

He smirked. "Yeah, but some things are more important than school."