chapter 6

December 1941

The war broke out across the world. Like a disease that fought through everyone's defences.

But in the attic of a small house in Brooklyn, one could find love at its fullest.

"I promise, when all of this is over we will find each other and be together." Bucky said as he looked down at the girl in his arms.

Elle was called out to the English country side by her aunt. The old hag needed help with the children seeking shelter from the bombings in the cities. So Elle being the heart she is, said she will come over to help. Steve and Bucky said they would stay in Brooklyn because they want to leave for war and help fight.

"You and Steve will miss my birthday." She sniffed into his chest.

"I know, I know." He said as he held her closer.

"I wish I didn't have to go. But aunty needs my help so bad and I can't turn down a helpless women and scared children and I guess you tell can't turn down your calling for war either." She said as she turned her head to look up at him. "What do we do?"

"I was going to wait for your birthday but I guess I would be waiting too long for your next one." Bucky said as he pulled his arms away from her to fish what he needed out of his pockets.

"Here." He said pulling out a small box. "I'll wait for the end of war to marry you Elle since we have barely a few days left together. So at the end of this madness we will come back to each other, I promise. And when I find you again, I'll marry you on the spot. So I guess what I'm saying is, Elleana Rogers will you marry me when I help win this war and make myself worthy of your hand in marriage."

"Careful Bucky,your going old fashioned on me now." Elle said with a watery smile. "And yes you big idiot I will marry you at the end of this madness."

"Phew. Alright, since you I don't want you to wear the ring till after the war and if you still want this." Bucky said as his hands shakily pulled out the ring on a simply chain. "If you wear the ring on your finger and send the chain back to me I'll find you and marry you at the closest church."

Elle looked at the ring on the chain and then back to him. "So that's our promise? To always come back to each other?"

"Yes"

Elle threw herself into his arms and refused to let go.

"I love you, James Barnes"

"I love you, Eleana Rogers"

"We will be together again in the future"

"Forever and always"