t h i r t y: mother dearest

A vulture flew through the shop, landing in front of Sam, a note in its beak

Sam picked it up, scanning over it.

Dear Skye,

I am still expecting our conversation. Right now would be a great time. If I don't see you in ten minutes I will have the vultures hunt you down. Don't think that our conversation was over just because your father stepped in. We need to talk, right now young lady. Being your little boyfriend. Pick up my makeup order from the goblins. They'll know what it is when you see them. And if those almond little things don't give it to you I will have their hearts.

From ,
EQ

P.S.

Times a ticking. Get here quickly.

Sam rolled her eyes, folding the scroll up.

"That from your mom?" Heather asked, leaning on the table in front of her. Sam raised an eyebrow as Heather shrugged. "Your glaring at the paper like you want to kill it and it was brought by a vulture which your mother loves using. So yes of course I know it's her. What does she want?"

"To talk to me." Sam said.

"Your going to a place where your in the same room as your mom alone with no witnesses." Heather said.

"You make it sound like she'll murder me." Sam said. "Which is a probably something she'd do. But no I'm not going alone because apparently she wants Harry there too and that never ends pretty."

"I'm not going." Harry said. "I don't like your mum. She tries killing me constantly. It gets rather boring."

"I'll come with you guys." Heather said. "It beats seeing Chels lose her mind."

"I'm coming too." Helia said. "I'm not staying with her."

"HJ can come too." Heather said. "Let's leave while she's not paying attention."

The five of them exited the Shoppe where people had lined up to see Chelsea have her mental breakdown. Sam didn't understand how that was entertaining but it beat a lot of other things.

The walk toward what her mother considered a castle was a quiet one. All they could hear was the crunch of their boots against the rocky path and the chatter of Isle residents.

The path twisted and turned so many times that it was slightly dizzying.

Going toward the castle brought back memories to Sam.

How she had snuck Evie out of the castle many times even though she knew Maleficent had made it clear she didn't want to see Evie or her mother for ten years.

Doing Evie's hair and modeling their mother's old crowns and outfits when she went out to town.

Sewing the cape Evie used to wear with her as they watched the Prince of the Week on the only channel they had.

Making crowns of their own with Dizzy when she came to visit and gushing about how much better they were from the crowns they wore in Auradon.

Memory after memory about Evie. She didn't know how to feel about it.

She missed Evie more than she cared to admit and her coming back didn't help her much.

They stood in front of the door for a few minutes before Sam raised her hand and knocked on it.

One.

Two.

Three.

Her mother opened the door, glancing around at the people that stood at her doorstep.

"I don't remember saying you could bring so many people." The Evil Queen said. "Come in. Come in."

She ushered them inside, leading them to what she considered a living room.

Once they were all situated she sat down on her throne, looking down at them.

She beckoned Sam forward. Sam got up and stood in front of her. Tentatively, the Evil Queen cupped her face in her hands. She spoke in a hushed tone as the others tried to make out what she was saying to no avail.

"My darling daughter." Evil Queen whispered. "My Skye. My Samantha. My love."

Her mother's nails slightly dug into the back of her head with every word.

Sam winced as a smirk graced her mother's lips.

"My my Samantha." Evil Queen drawled. "You've got yourself in quite some trouble haven't you?" Her mother yanked her hair slightly. "I don't like it."

"Are we gonna let her hurt Sam like that or are we going to do something?" Heather whispered.

"Sam knows what she's doing." HJ said. "I think."

"Look at me when I'm talking to you." The Evil Queen said. Sam rolled her eyes looking up at her. "Do you have anything to say to justify yourself?"

"No not really." Sam said. "I don't see what your problem is."

"What the problem is?" Her mother asked releasing her grip on her. "That boy is my problem." She pointed to Harry. "I expected so much more from you."

Her mother picked up a book that rested on her table, handing it to Sam.

"Your old spell book?" Sam said. "I thought you gave it to Evie or something."

"I have her my mirror." Her mother whispered. "Which she lets collect dust in an old museum. I know you got the letter to go there. You're using this to get the barrier down."

Sam made a zipping motion over her mouth.

"Oh you haven't told anyone yet?" Evil Queen asked. "I'd expected you to have told the whole world like your sister had."

"I'm not Evie." Sam muttered.

"Oh no your not." Her mother said. "Evie would never do what you did no matter how much of a traitor she has become. I can't do anything about it. This is what fate has written for you. Do not fail me, my darling Skye. I'm not a barrel of laughs when I'm angry."

"I know." Sam said. "Why'd you ask Harry to come here then?"

"Oh I didn't think you'd do it." Her mother said. "I just put it in there. I don't want anything from him. I don't even want to see his face. You can go now. Bye Skye dearest."

"My Mother dearest." Sam said mockingly as her mother rolled her eyes.

"You're very childish!" Her mother called as they exited the castle.

"What'd your mom tell you?" Heather asked, draping her arm over Sam's shoulder.

"How much she doesn't like Evie and how she's really mad at me and how I shouldn't fail her."

"What does she mean by fail her?" Helia asked.

"I don't know." Sam said.

The group headed back toward the Chip Shoppe where they found Chelsea chatting away with Uma.