Chapter 19- Day of Reckoning

The town lay nestled in a sea of barren oaks, the leaves stripped from their branches and left to rot like the cores of apples in the cold world. In this strange land lay a ominous town; A large tower with several bizarre demonic minarets. The sky was a bright red with a few peaks of thick snow and mesa cliffs above. The whole town was based in a low valley, with many black asphalt buildings being occupied by inhabitants whom struggled with their everyday lives. Ash saw the poor site of the struggling settlers. The inhabitants farmed and scavenged the snow floor, taking ice and bark as their only source of food. The site was worth mourning for. Sympathy crawled into his heart. He never felt like this before in his life, not even once in his adventure.

   "The people here can't be saved, but the rest of the world can. Let's keep moving."

  "Wait, let's go greet the settlers first. They might know about what lies ahead of us." Ash suggested.

   "Very well."

   Everyone quickly approached the settling inhabitants waving to them. The settlers did not wave back; The crowd of people began to slowly back away from the travelers. Ash, wondering what was wrong tried to step closer. Just then a loud whistle echoed and a mob of pokemon circled them.

   "Whoa!" Dawn fell, backing up against her other friends.

   "We only wanted to help."

   "Yeah, we only came to see if you needed our help. But if this is how you treat everyone then-" Ash was suddenly interrupted by a familiar voice.

   A dark skinned man came in a bright sleeveless doctor uniform. He examined his captives and recognized them immediately. The man then called for the settlers to release them. The pokemon dispersed and returned to their guard duties.

   "It's good to see you again. Ash,"

   "You too, Brock."

   "So how can we help?" Iris asked.

   "Team Renegade took over the whole town. Those guys took whatever food and supplies we had stocked up for the winter. We need help, if we want go get those supplies back. It's important that we do Ash. If we don't.. we won't last the winter" Brock told him.

   "Of course we--" Ash began to say.

   "No, we will not help" Cynthia interrupted, hissing at Ash to be quiet.

   "But why?" Dawn protested.

   "We don't have time, if we hesitate there will be nothing left to save."

    "Did you once say to advance at a sustainable rate?"

   Cynthia silently left the heroes. Ash cried for her to return; she did not listen, so Ash ran after her. Cynthia continued walking to the tower miles away from them. Ash tripped over a unknown object losing his footing he fell into the snowy dirt.

   "What did I trip on?"

   He regained his footing, but he could not find Cynthia. She had already left without them. Dawn ran to Ash's side to check if he was okay. A loud drip of goo spilled on the snow right in front of Ash. Ash slowly stood up and looked at the source of the sound. It was a massive number of bizarre creatures. Scythers with sharp black blades and blood red eyes in a mob resembling a pack of wolves. Dawn was afraid, her heart beat began to skyrocket. The one thing she wanted to do was hide behind Ash. But Dawn refused to do that, she wanted to show she was brave. Dawn pulled out her pokeball, calling Piplup to her side, while Ash did the same with his Pikachu. A loud rumble in the floor occurred. The dirt below him began to rise. Ash, Iris and Dawn suddenly jumped out of the way to avoid the strange foundation. A group of Genesect beetles with mounted hyper cannons dug their way out of the earth.  A loud speeding helicopter appeared behind the group of confused settlers.