Epilogue: Alternate Ending

Author’s Note: So MyMentalFiction suggested an alternate ending, so I’ve done one. For this, you’ll have to disregard the last two chapters of Pinky Promise, as well as the Epilogue for Fingers Crossed. Let me know how you like this! You may end up liking this version better…

--------------------

“B-Brian!”

Brian jerked from his sleep. There was no hazy coming around, no blinking stupidly up at the ceiling.

Something was wrong.

Zacky was sitting up in bed, coughing. Panic was written across his features, tears streaming down his cheeks. Brian gasped in horror as he saw the blood. Dribbling down his chin, coating his hand as he covered his mouth.

Oh fuck. Oh fuck oh fuck oh fucking hell. Brian scooped Zacky up into his arms, fleeing from the house as fast as he could. “No, no, no, no!” he cried, hands shaking as he fumbled with the keys to the car. “Z-Zacky, hold on, we-we’re going to get you to the hospital okay?”

It was back. It had returned. And this time it was relentless.

~*~

Brian was torn from sleep, heart beating wildly in his chest. Zacky was sitting up, eyes wide, hand on Brian’s shoulder. He had been shaking him.

“Brian.” He whispered, relaxing visibly when he noticed Brian’s eyes had opened. “Y-You were having a nightmare.”

Brian tried to calm his breathing, reaching a hand up to touch Zacky’s cheek gently. “Zacky…” he smiled softly, and Zacky leaned down to kiss Brian’s lips.

He looked at his husband. Zacky was so beautiful. He sat there, short hair tousled and disturbed, sleepiness written across his expression. His hands moved from Brian’s shoulder, stroking down his chest gently. “I was worried about you.” He whispered, emerald eyes wavering over Brian’s features. “You were scared.”

“It was just a dream.” Brian whispered. “My beautiful, perfect husband is alive, he survived. No more horrible nights, no more pain, no more suffering. I am so thankful for that every day.”

Zacky had done it. After becoming bedridden for six weeks in October, his cancer had turned around. By his birthday, he had been allowed to go home. By Christmas, he had felt well enough to go for runs, play baseball, attend concerts. By mid January, they were in the studio recording. By February, they stopped giving him chemo again.

And on March 4, 2013, Brian was kissing the love of his life on a beach in the fading rays of a sunset. The “I do’s” had been uttered. They were official.

Brian could not have been happier.

Zacky rested his head on Brian’s chest, tilting his head up to kiss his chin. “I’m thankful, too.” He whispered, “So fucking thankful. I had accepted the fact that I was going to die, and now…” he gestured to himself, a smile on his face. “It’s almost been a year and here I am, more alive than I’ve ever been. And maybe this cancer is gone for good, who knows?”

Brian grinned, fingers running through Zacky’s hair. “I love you, Zacky.” he murmured, smiling at the way Zacky leaned into his touch unconsciously, the way his lips tinged up slightly, jade eyes on Brian.

“I love you too, baby.” Zacky nuzzled his face in Brian’s neck, fingers splayed across his chest. “You mean so much to me.”

They were silent for a while, and Zacky’s breathing was getting heavy. He was nodding off, Brian could tell. Brian asked, “What time is it?” and Zacky lifted his head slightly, looking towards the clock on the wall. “Uh… 4:18.” He replied.

“August 27. The album is going to release today.” Brian kissed the top of Zacky’s head. “Are you excited?”

“Yeah.” Zacky yawned. “Of course I am. I’m always excited when albums are released. Even though it’s already available in the UK…”

“Yeah, yeah, it was good to give the fans over there a sneak peek. I can’t wait to start touring the album, doing interviews, talking about all the songs… fuck, Zee, it’s begun!”

Zacky chuckled quietly. “I just want to make it through the Q&A tomorrow.”

Brian smiled, running his fingers over Zacky’s arm. Dr. Wright said he’d have a scar from the continuous chemo drip, but his tattoos covered it up. Brian couldn’t see it at all. It was as if he had never had cancer.

Although there were lasting effects that they couldn’t see. Zacky had developed an anxiety disorder. The chemotherapy had knocked off some of the chemical balances in his brain, making him have panic attacks suddenly and without explanation. They didn’t come too often ever since Zacky got on medication, but when they did, Brian made sure he could always be at his husband’s side.

Brian worried about one of the panic attacks hitting Zacky at a show. He could just imagine how terrifying it would be for him, all loud sounds, thousands of people, bright lights. They would have to stop playing.

“I’m excited to start shooting the video, though.” Zacky’s voice was muffled against Brian’s skin. “It’s going to be fucking amazing.”

“What about that video game?” Brian asked, “Do you think Matt’s really going to want us to go through with it?”

“It’s Matt we’re talking about. He’ll have it out by next Christmas, I guarantee.” Zacky stirred, moving his head so he could look at Brian.

Brian looked back at Zacky quizzically, quirking an eyebrow when Zacky didn’t speak, just stared at him. “What?” he asked.

“Nothing. I just really love you.” Zacky slid his arms around Brian, squeezing him tight. “I love you so fucking much.”

Brian smiled, hugging Zacky back for all he was worth. “I love you too.” His fingers found the back of Zacky’s head, gripping in his hair. “Now’s the part we have a hot make out session.” He whispered in Zacky’s ear, and nearly instantly, Zacky’s lips were on his.

Fuck. Brian would never get used to kissing Zacky. Every time their lips met, it was like fireworks, no, better than fireworks. It was better than anything Brian could have ever dreamed. Just one touch from Zacky was enough to make his mind race and his heart beat out of time. He cupped Zacky’s face in his hands so he could kiss him better, tongues finding their way into each other’s mouths, pants and whispers mixing and tangling together. Brian’s hands moved down Zacky’s chest and Zacky’s fingers flitted down Brian’s sides, and Brian smirked at the light in Zacky’s eyes.

“If I fuck you you’ll be too tired tomorrow for the Q&A…” Brian’s voice was silk as he bit Zacky’s ear lobe gently. “You might even be sore…”

Zacky let out a soft whimper, “I-I don’t fucking care, Baker, I need you now.”

Brian shivered. Brian Baker. Damn, he loved it. And when Zacky called him by his new last name, well, he loved that even more.

“Your wish is my command, Zee.”

Needless to say, they were both exhausted at the Q&A the next day. But it was worth it. As the band sat on the stage and answered questions from the fans, Brian could not have been happier. His life had completely turned around.

 And with Zacky cancer free, and at his side through the thick and thin, Brian knew that there could only be good days to come.