✔Chapter Thirty Three: A Party for The Princess

Start from the beginning

When I was done, I grabbed a tiny purple bottle that Lysa explained was meant for a more intimate part. I blushed a little but continued putting on the sweet-smelling lotion, rubbing it down there. Finally, I emerged out looking squeaky clean.

And Lysa was right, after all. My skin did appear glossier than usual.

"Perfect," she grinned, grabbing a chair and placing it in front of the mirror. "Let's start with your hair."

"Lysa," I said, taking a seat, "thank you for doing this. And thank you for the dress. It's beautiful."

She patted my arm kindly. "You don't need to thank me. I'm doing this because I love it."

I didn't say anything, only smiled. She started brushing my hair with her fingers, loosening the messy tangles, and her two companions grabbed a comb and straightened my knotted locks.

Lysa's face sparked with concentration like she was considering how to best style my hair. "You always wear it down. How about you wear it up this time?" she suggested.

I shrugged, not really minding either way. "It's fine with me."

She looked gleeful by my answer and proceeded to work.

When they were done -which took about an hour -I smiled at the finished product. My hair was braided into a simple crown, some of the curled strands framing my face. It looked simple, but they had twisted the braids together that it felt almost heavy. Lysa had woven a gold circlet between it, the cool ornament resting on my forehead.

And for the final touch, she had splashed what seemed to be tiny flame-colored speckles, enchanted to look as if they were glowing. It made my hair appear like simmering coal, the fire burning from within.

"Lysa, this is amazing," I breathed out, not quite believing my hair could be managed like that. "But don't you think it's too much? After all, it's only a small gathering."

She smacked my shoulder. "Oh, hush. Everyone will be looking dazzling. I see no reason why you also shouldn't be."

I chuckled and did not argue with her any further. Vircha, the green-haired fairy, reached for a mortal-made bag that I guessed contained the make-up I needed.

Lysa's grin was almost wolfish, and I didn't mistake the glint in her violet eyes. "Now for my favorite part!"

Make-up took longer than I expected, only because Lysa insisted on perfecting every single detail. And even when lunchtime came, and my stomach gurgled due to not having breakfast, she ordered the servants to bring the food to my room.

We feasted on the smoked fish and glazed ribs as we chatted, all the while making sure my pinned-back hair didn't mix with the food. Lysa even spoke about her relationship with Aero and how it had been going on for a while, but they still did not make it official to anyone yet.

I assured her that her secret was safe with me -even though probably most of the palace already knew. I got to know Vircha and Nisa as well, and how they were half-siblings and very old friends of Lysa.

When we were done eating, they resumed back to focusing on my face.

Lysa used modern tools and often mentioned how old-fashioned ours were, praising the mortals for their invention of eyeliners and highlighters. She even said that she had visited the mortal world before with a couple of merchants -since traveling there is only allowed with the company of officials or licensed traders.

But that was fifty years ago, and she stated that the make-up tools they brought now were far more advanced than the ones she saw before.

The subject didn't interest me much, mostly because I didn't understand what the difference between something called matte and a normal lipstick was. For me, they were all pretty colors that were nice on my face. But it was enjoyable to hear her talk about something she was so passionate about.