CHAPTER 7 WINDY WOODS AT NIGHT

It wasn't until Colin was undressing for bed that night that he suddenly remembered the book of ships. Where was it ?

Then, with a shock, he knew. He had left it hi the tree-house cubby-hole. How dreadful ! Suppose that mischievous squirrel found it and tore the pages or nibbled at them! Suppose a storm came and blew rain into the hole and spoilt the book ! How angry Janet's father would be!

Colin dressed hurriedly again. He must go and get the book. But he had reckoned without his family. They seemed to be continually moving about the house that night, running upstairs, standing in the hall, going in and out of the garden. It was maddening.

Colin sat by his window till half past ten. Would his tiresome family never, never go to bed? Ah... that sounded like Granny coming upstairs.

It wasn't until eleven o'clock that Colin felt it was safe to slip out of the house. He got safely out into the garden and jumped when an owl hooted suddenly. He stopped.

Would he know the way to the tree in the dark? It was almost dark now, and in the wood it would be pitch-black. Colin felt a nasty little stab of fear. It wouldn't really be very nice in Windy Woods at night. Suppose he missed the way, didn't find the tree, and got lost ? He really would feel an awful idiot, and his mother would be worried and cross.

He had to pass Peter's farm on the way. He wondered if Peter was awake. If he was, he would go with him, he was sure. He stepped into Peter's garden and made his way quietly to the farm-house. He knew where Peter's bedroom was.

The farm-house was in complete darkness. Everyone was hi bed. Colin took up a few small pebbles and threw one carefully at Peter's window. It fell back again. Colin threw another, waiting for it to hit the window.

But it didn't. The window wasopen and the pebble flew inside and hit Peter neatly on the cheek, as he slept peacefully in his bed.

He woke with a jump, sat up and stared crossly round the dark room. He rubbed his cheek, wondering what had happened. Another pebble came in at the window and hit the wall.

" Hallo ! Someone's throwing stones ! ' said Peter to himself, and he went cautiously to the window. He made out someone standing below.

" Who is it ? " whispered Peter as loudly as he could without making too much noise.

" Hist! It's me, Colin ! " came a whisper from below. " Peter, listen, I've left your father's book in the tree-house, in the cubbyhole. I simply must get it. Will you come with me? "

 Will you come with me? "

" Oooh yes, rather," said Peter, thrilled at the idea of going into Windy Woods at night, and climbing up into the tree-house. It would be quite an adventure ! Lovely!

He slipped on a jersey and pair of shorts, and shinned down the tree that grew obligingly outside his window. In a moment he and Colin were slipping down the path like shadows.

Colin felt perfectly brave the moment that Peter was with him. " I was afraid I might

not find the tree," he whispered, as they padded along. " You're so good at finding your way, and I thought you'd know it even in the dark."

" Yes, I shall," said Peter, " But anyway I've brought a torch with me. This is fun, isn't it ? "

They came to Windy Woods, which were quiet tonight. Very little wind was about, and the trees made hardly any noise. An owl hooted again and made both boys jump.

" I'm glad I'm not a mouse," said Peter. " I should be scared stiff of an owl's hoot! "

They came to their tree. Peter went up first, shining the torch down now and again for Colin, who found it difficult to climb in the dark. At last they came to the platform. It looked queer and desolate in the light of Peter's torch.

" Now to get the book," said Colin, and he shone the torch in at the hole. He gave a sudden exclamation.

" I say! Someone's been here again! Everything is topsy-turvy and muddled up as if someone's been hunting for something. Food probably."

" Well, we didn't leave much," said Peter. " Blow! It can't be that squirrel. It must be someone who has discovered our tree-house. Is your book there ? "

" Yes, thank goodness," said Colin. " Peter, who comes here ? It's maddening ! "

" Can't think," said Peter. And then he heard a sound that astonished him. It was a very small sound indeed, and it came from somewhere in the tree.

" Did you hear that ? " whispered Peter. " It sounded like a tiny mew... but there can't be a cat up here ! "

He swung his torch round and about to see if he could find a hidden cat, and then he suddenly clutched Colin and pointed silently.

In the light of his torch was a pair of bare feet! Someone... someone was sitting silently on a branch above them, his feet showing in the torch-light. Who could he be ?