22. A 20-Year Promise

Start from the beginning

Louis nodded and laughed over at Hayden as they made their way through the parking lot and to the car.

"That's so creepy! Did he try to like hit on you or something?"

"No actually, he has a family of his own now." Louis said as the smile couldn't leave his face.

Hayden raised his eyebrows in surprise as he opened the passenger door and hopped in the car. Once Louis put Hayden's suitcase in the back seat he got into the drivers side and started the car.

"So how is everyone?" Hayden asked as they got onto the main road.

"Everyone's good. Harry and I are keeping busy with our jobs and Charlie, and all the other kids. Cody and Emma are sickly in love, and I believe your brother is too." Louis said with a small smirk.

"Yeah, he told me about Zaria, I'm really proud of him." Hayden said happily. "I'm surprised Zayn agreed to it though."

Louis scoffed. "I'm not. Zayn loves that kid."

"And yet he hates me." He said through a small chuckle.

"Well it's different with you. Kinda... I mean Al is his goddaughter and he's been there with her through everything because when Harry and I were young the boys helped us. She's also the oldest of all the kids. But I think it's really that Zayn got to know Josh first and then liked him before Josh liked Zaria. So he kind of approved of him before he needed to." Louis explained.

"Well hopefully one day he'll like me." Hayden said through a small laugh.

"I'm sure he will." Louis reassured.

"So what about everyone else? The twins, Rosie, how are they?"

"They're all good. They love school and everything so I can't complain." Louis said. "Al has been as you would expect. You know,  just kinda mopey but her classes keep her busy."

Hayden nodded slowly and looked down at his hands. "Yeah, it definitley hasn't been easy." He said quietly.

Louis looked over at him and then focused back on the road. "It'll get easier mate."

Hayden nodded, not entirely convinced.

When  Louis pulled up to the house Hayden immediately jumped out of the car and ran towards the front door. Louis followed behind laughing to himself. When he walked through to the kitchen Louis saw Harry laughing as well and a second later there was a loud, deafening shriek, followed by a thump.

"I think she tackled him." Harry said through his laughter.

 "I tackled you the first time I came home from a long trip. Remember? You hit your head on the floor." Louis said through his own chuckle as he grabbed Charlie from Harry's arms.

"Hurt like hell." Harry said before he kissed Louis quickly. "But it was worth it."

Meanwhile upstairs...

"When did you get here?!" Alexis asked as she got off Hayden and stood up from the floor.

Hayden put his finger up, silently asking to give him a second as he had the air knocked out of him. "Maybe a half hour ago." He breathed out and slowly stood up. "Your dad picked me up. So surprise!" Hayden said with a wide smile on his face.

"I hate you guys, stop planning things together and surprising me!" She said in fake annoyance and wrapped her arms around her boyfriend. "I missed you so much." She said into his chest.

Hayden smiled down at her as he wrapped his arms around his girlfriend and kissed her head. "I missed you too." He said quietly.

When Alexis looked up at Hayden he immediately dropped his head and kissed her. It was full of want, love, and need as they moved together rhythmically.