Chapter Sixteen

Monday October 12th

Dear Diary

Elias is still in town, for now at least. He's only staying until he has made sure that Lucian is gone. I thought that maybe he would stay now after Luke... well, didn't try to kill him, but apparently not. Luke is back on hating the vampires and won't let them stay a second more than what is needed.

"Well, at least now I know why Elias hasn't been in school in like two weeks," Sarah said when the two of us were sitting alone by a table in the cafeteria later that day.

I had told her everything after Elias had dropped us off at my house two days earlier. I had told her everything about the vampires and everything that had happened since finding out about it myself. She had been terrified at first, but after some time she had calmed down.

"Yeah..." I sighed.

Elias hadn't shown up this day either. I had actually expected him to show up only so we could talk about what had happen. I hadn't seen or heard from him since Saturday. I didn't know the whole story yet. Everything that Lucian had told me, I hadn't had any chance to ask Elias about it. What if it was all true? What if they had actually been aware of what their aunt was cooking up? What if they had actually sacrificed Lucian's sister to become immortal? It wouldn't change my feelings towards Lucian, he was a lunatic, but maybe it would change my thoughts of the Petersens? Anyway, I wanted to know. I had the right to know. When Lucian kidnapped me, it became my business. I only wished Elias would have bothered to show up for at least a few minutes. I felt like he was avoiding me again. I knew he was.

"And how are you feeling after everything that happened?" Sarah asked and lowered her voice. "I mean, it must have been awful to be alone with Lucian and the other vampires."

"To be honest, I think I'm probably a lot less freaked out about it than I should be," I confessed. "I don't know why. I mean, I know Lucian is bad and I know how dangerous the situation was, but the suspense, the rush... I kind of liked it. I don't know." I laughed at how stupid it sounded to say it out loud. "It's weird, I know."

"No," she said. "I think I understand what you mean." 

We were silent for a few seconds.

"But I'm very glad to be out of there," I said finally and laughed of relief.

"Me too," she said.

"Why did you come to the house by the way?" I asked. 

"I didn't just want to sit in the car and wait," she explained. "If somebody had kidnapped you, I wanted to help. Of course I never expected to see vampires... I should have listened to Elias and stayed in the car. I messed up."

"Are you kidding me?" I said. "You saved us. You were badass!"

She smiled big. "I've never done anything like it before," she confessed. "Grams tells me we can channel strength from emotions, so I guess it must have been all the anger and fear that made me stronger."

"Well, I'm so thankful you were there," I said.

She smiled. "Yeah. Well, my mum and Grams are not happy about it though," she explained. "Apparently they don't 'do business with vampires'."

"Why not?" I asked.

"I don't know really. I assume they just think they are dark and sinister creatures." She shrugged.

"But it was a witch who transformed them? It was a witch who created the vampire specie."

"Yes, but it was with dark magic," she pointed out.