"They really do adore you, Acacia, you do not know how happy you make them and how crazy it is that you do not take up my offer to work here," I cringe when she says my name but give her a smile anyway. Why my parents had to name me after a plant, I would never know, but I had to live with it. My name did bring up many topics in conversations, though, so I guess it was helpful if I wanted to socialize. 

"I could not possibly work here and take any money from the library," I say and lay my hand on Mrs. Lean's shoulder. She sighs and nods her head, gripping onto the abandoned toy.

"You're too kind.It's such a shame a girl like you is stuck with life like your own," Her eyes give off a twinkle I could not pinpoint her emotion and I give her a smile. I let myself tell myself that it was just what happened to my parents, but my mind nagged me that it was something else, as well. She may look young but her mind was still slipping, which made me wonder if it was just something dumb like why I was not married or that crap. 

I go back over to the blue chair and sling my black backpack over my shoulder. I grab my phone that was on the table beside me to see no notifications whatsoever and sigh. I look back over to say goodbye to Mrs. Lean, but there was no trace of her in the room. The door was now shut and the toy from today's session was gone. I let my shoulders droop and roll my eyes at myself.

I had been reading to these kids and coming to this library for over four months now and I barely knew anyone who did come. I barely knew Mrs.Lean, except for the fact she never left this library and was super creepy at times. I could sense no one around here did like me, but I could not help that fact. I was stuck in this small town and this library until I could leave. Not that I wanted to leave, I liked the peacefulness the town gave me. It was a giant change from the busy city life I lived in before my parents died.

I walk out of the playroom and exit the library, catching a glimpse of a few moms that I saw every now and then and a few regular people in the library. They did not say anything to me, just gave me the usual half smile and wave. I did the same to them, but always added in the crinkle by my eyes to make it seem genuine. They would not even give me that much.

I get in my car and turn on on ignition, immediately regretting my decision to blast my music from the night before. I turn down the sounds of the electronic music and pull out of the library. The roads of this town were usually muggy and cloudy, so of course, I had the best time with the windows up and my eyes alert at every movement. As I leave the small, busy town behind me, the woods stretch out farther and thicker. That was another thing I liked about living out here; nature.

I come to the last stop sign before the sheriff decided the rest of the way out of Cranston was a waste of money to protect and crack my cricked neck to the side. Only another fifteen minutes and I would be home and in a soothing bubble bath with food and a book. I roll away from the stop sign and notice that the clouds above me are black and swirling. Rain.

I roll my window down a bit and catch a whiff of the soon-to-come rain smell. I always thought it smelled like a mixture of the ocean and crisp air, but others told me it just smelled like dampness. I could agree, on some level, but still thought my definition was more pinpoint and descriptive. I liked to describe things as I would to a blind person; exact, with a picture and a little over the top.