Chapter 14 Comatose

Anna

"Guess who found out who Fredek Fedorov is?" Jack waltzed into my office.

"You could've just called me." I was very busy filling out forms and recording parent's phone numbers for their children who needed my professional counseling. Mental illness was at an all time high.

"I wanted to visit you, and your lollies." He snatched a handful of caramels from the bowl on my desk.

I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Mr. Fedorov, or should I say professor Fedorov was the founder and director of a research team during the rule of the Soviet Union."

My eyebrows shot up further, past my hairline. "So he's dead then?"

"The deadest, he died of a heart attack about twenty years ago." Jack answered casually.

"So it's literally a dead end." I sighed.

"Never." Jack countered. "From my expert research and scouring of Wikipedia I discovered that the project he was running was some kind of testing or experiment. You know how the Soviet's were."

"I do." I was very familiar with my world history. A Witch had to be.

"Which is why I want us to go to Russia."

"What?" I exclaimed.

"To search for clues."

"We are not part of the Mystery Gang." I reminded him.

"What? I could be Freddie and you could be Velma." He could be so immature sometimes.

"Jack, you seriously expect me to suddenly pack my bags and head off to some random country, with only a name to guide us?" He was truly insane.

Jack paused before replying. "Yeah."

I opened my mouth to tell him he was a lunatic when my phone began ringing. I sent him a sharp glare before picking it up without checking who was calling.

"Anna Murphy speaking."

"It's Aileene Dunn here, you must come to the Isle Anna." She spoke hurriedly and with a wobbly voice.

"Yes, why?" I stood up from my chair, gathering my jacket.

"It's Eliza, we thought she was at school still but she's not. She found her way back home. Please Anna-I-I'm afraid something terrible is going to happen."

"Okay, I'll be there as soon as I can. Where exactly do you think she will be?" I pocketed my car keys.

"By a body of water, I-I'm not too sure. The weather is wild so be careful. I haven't seen it this bad for a long time."

"Thank you. I'll see you soon."

"Oh thank you Anna." She hung up and I grabbed Jack on my way out.

"We're going to Russia?" He perked up.

"No, Scotland, the Isle of Skye to be specific." I corrected.

"Why?"

"Because a student and friend of mine needs me."

"I didn't think teachers were allowed to be friends with their students?" Jack grinned.

"Good thing I'm not a teacher then." I unlocked my car out front of the school building. "I'm a god damn counsellor."

Jack and I jumped into my car and began the drive to the airport. I anxiously tapped my fingers on the steering wheel while I drove, hoping that we wouldn't be too late before anything too serious happened to Eliza.