10

Music began to play and I forced myself to look away from the lake. Through the crowd, I saw Jenna and sighed with relief. Finally, my family was there. Making my way through the crowd, I slowly inched toward her. She was with a few other girls. They turned to walk inside and I sped up. Once back inside, I had to push my way through just to find Jenna and her friends again. I saw them walk into the ladies' room, so making my way past the bar, I finally got there.

The restroom had two sections, the first with toilet stalls, sinks, and mirrors, and then just past that was a small lounge room with a sofa, chairs, and more mirrors. I could hear Jenna in the lounge, but I froze in place when I actually heard her talk. I stood close enough to overhear Jenna and her friends without them seeing me.

"Her name is Paige. She'll be here tonight," I heard Jenna say. "It's sad, really. I kind of feel bad for her, living in some mental asylum all these years, just like her mother."

"It's is nice of you to help her, Jenna," one of her friends said.

"I try," Jenna sighed. "She had no clothes when she got here. Can you imagine? She just had some old sweats and tees. I had to give her my old clothes that I was going to donate to the shelter. She could be really pretty, too. I mean, she is my sister, after all."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Jenna had told me the clothes I borrowed were hers, but she never mentioned she was going to donate them.

Jenna continued, "You'll see when you meet her. It just goes to show that class isn't hereditary. You'd never guess she was a Silver."

"She is so lucky to have you as her sister!" her friend gushed. "But, aren't you a little worried? You said she lived in a mental asylum?"

"It was like a mental asylum and jail, I think. I'm not totally sure. And of course I'm worried! Even though she's my sister, she's still a crazy criminal, you know?"

My mouth fell open. I couldn't believe what she was saying about me. I heard them start to walk closer to where I was standing. Panicking, I ducked into a stall and locked the door. They walked through the restroom and I heard the door open. When I was sure I was alone, I let out a sob. Jenna, the sister I had just found out I had and believed I could trust, was the worst one of all. She was lying about me to her friends, saying I had lived in some mental hospital jail type facility. I couldn't comprehend her reason for doing that to me.

I wiped my tears from my face and checked my makeup in the mirror. As I regained my composure, I took a long, hard look at myself in the mirror. Being out of Bridgeport, I had forgotten who I was. I'd been so confused trying to figure out who I was as part of the Silver family that I forgot that no matter what, I was still Paige. And Paige had dealt with girls like Jenna lots of time.

I fixed my hair and reapplied my lipstick. Diana, who had helped me choose so many clothes, had overdone it with the dress I was wearing. It was a perfect fit, accentuating the parts of my figure that were my best features. My new wedges made my tan legs look long and toned. Usually I didn't show off. I wasn't one to flaunt myself. But as I stood there, replaying the words Jenna had said about me in my mind, I began to get angry. I had two options. I could either run away and cry, which was something I never did. Or I could show Jenna exactly who I was: someone she wouldn't want to go up against. Just like every other spoiled rich girl that had come and gone through Bridgeport in the many years I was there, Jenna would soon learn that no matter how much money she had, I wasn't one to be reckoned with.

Leaving the ladies' room, I grabbed a glass of champagne from the bar and took a few gulps. I held me head high, shoulders back, putting a little swish in my walk as I made my way through the crowd. I could see my father outside, so I went to see him first. I didn't want any time constraints once I got to Jenna. My father was speaking with another man when he stopped mid sentence and stared at me.

"Paige! You look magnificent!" he boasted, his eyes wide.

I gave him a big smile. "Thank you! It is all because of you! I don't know how to thank you!"

His friend had walked away, leaving the two of us alone.

"You don't have to thank me," he said. "It's my pleasure and there's much more to come."

"Oh, but I do need to thank you," I said. "You're the best father in the whole world and I'm so grateful to have you in my life!"

I knew I was overdoing it, but my father was eating it up. It wasn't that I was exaggerating. I was incredibly thankful to my father. But, if Jenna was like any of the other spoiled girls I had met, she most likely failed to thank her parents for everything she was continually given. I would make a point to show my appreciation to my father, not only to show my thanks, but to also be a simple reminder that, of my father's two daughters, I was the one who truly valued what he gave me.

My father was gazing at me with light tears in his eyes. "You look just like your mother."

He glanced nervously around us before continuing. "Abigail, my wife - your stepmother - doesn't like me to speak of other women. I'm sure you can understand. But honestly, Paige, you remind me so much of your mother."

"I wish I remembered her," I said sadly. "I hope you'll tell me about her one day."

"I will!" he promised. "Another day, huh?"

I nodded. Some of the their guests approached and after introducing me to them, I was able to sneak away while they kept talking. I sipped more champagne as I looked across the crowd. Off to the side, I found Jenna. She was surrounded by her friends and a new group of guys who seemed to be competing with each other for her attention. Her head was thrown back as she laughed, her hand touching one of the guys on his muscular arm.

She stopped as I walked up, her mouth having fallen open.

"Hi, sister!" I purred.

"Paige?" she gasped.

Her friends were looking between Jenna and me, utterly confused. I waved innocently and introduced myself. "Hi, everyone! I'm Paige, Jenna's sister. I'm so happy to meet Jenna's friends!" I said, eyeing the guys.

The one Jenna had her hand on inched quickly out of her grip and came closer to me. "Hey," he said and smiled. "I'm Chad."

In any other circumstance, I would've rolled my eyes and walked away. But, I could feel Jenna's glare burning into me, so I stayed.

"Nice to meet you, Chad! Jenna didn't tell me she had such cute friends," I giggled.

I'm pretty sure I heard Jenna growl. The other guys introduced themselves as well, blocking me from Jenna and her friends. I sipped my champagne and giggled as each guy tried to impress me. The music's tempo picked up and Chad asked me to dance. Finishing my champagne, I happily accepted. I let Chad take the lead, twirling me around and dipping me in his arms.

"You're a great dancer, Chad. Your girlfriend must love it."

He spun me around. "I don't have a girlfriend."

I smirked. "You don't? Handsome, a great dancer, and single? I don't believe it!"

"It's true!" He smiled.

I laughed loudly, aware that we were the center of attention on the dance floor. Jenna and her friends had retreated to a corner, whispering to one another while staring at me. I waved and smiled. Jenna reluctantly waved back and forced a smile.

We stopped dancing and I held onto Chad's arm as we walked to an empty table. He grabbed two glasses of champagne and sat down next to me.

"So, you're Jenna's sister?" he asked.

"I sure am." I smiled.