Chapter 25: The Rebellion

Takes place between Chapter 16 and 17

------

Orange followed Pink as she lead her up to her command chair, the two talking animatedly to one another and bursting out into raucous laughter. Pink took a moment to bring up a holographic display over her desk and the two became emerged in what it played, leaving their two Pearls to their own devices.

Orange's Pearl remained standing next to Pink's at the base of the platform, the two Pearl's mirroring each other as they stood by while their Diamond conversed, hands folded in front of them and both pointedly looking away from the two gems as they spoke, trying to give them as much privacy as they could without actually leaving their sides.

Pink's Pearl looked out the glass cage of the upper part of the moon base, and Orange's pearl followed her line of sight. Before them was the vast void of space, bright white stars dotted the blackness haphazardly, the image only slightly blurred by the light being reflected off the moon they were on. Just a little beyond that was the sight of a blue planet, green and yellow colored continents could be seen through thick clouds and atmosphere that reflected the light from this system's sun, casting a portion of the clouds into pink and yellow hues.

"So That is Earth." The brighter gem spoke softly, her pearl counterpart turning her head to look at her before going back to the planet.

"Yes. It's something, isn't it?"

"Yes. My Diamond speaks of it sometimes. Or, more accurately, of Pink Diamond and how it is a lot of trouble."

Pink's pearl frowned, "I wouldn't say trouble-"

"No, not the planet. The Rebels."

"Ah, Yes. Them." Pearl adverted her eyes, turning to briefly look up at the Diamonds then back at Earth, ignoring her fellow's eyes that looked to her with an unknown emotion that made her uneasy. Nervous.

"It is unfortunate they are causing so much trouble. My Diamond would like to visit more often, but it seems Pink Diamond is always busy now, trying to deal with this...what was it?"

"Rose Quartz." Pearl supplied hotly before she could stop herself, her mouth clamping shut and her jaw showing strain as she endeavored to keep from meeting eyes with the inquisitive Pearl.

"Rose Quartz." Orange's Pearl drew out her name, "The lowly Quartz soldier that dares defy Pink Diamond and our Great Diamond Authority. Very sneaky, that one."

Pink's pearl turned to Orange's with narrowed eyes, "Are you trying to say something, or does your Diamond require you to speak in riddles?"

Pearl chuckled, "There is no reason to be so hostile, I am only being curious. No Diamond before has had to deal with such rowdy gems. I can't imagine it is easy as her Pearl. A job I do not envy you."

"It is a great honor to aid Pink Diamond in squashing these upstarts. She does her best with what she has. No other Diamond can say they have done what she has."

"No, I don't believe they can. I imagine by the end of it, there will be a story to share for centuries on Homeworld."

"I'm sure the aristocracy will be beside themselves with so much action to talk about in one sitting."

"You think little of our betters?"

"I think," Pink's pear paused, "that they have no idea what it's actually like to aid a Diamond in their work as our leaders, to further our cause and staying true to our diamonds and the work they do...I think they have more time to gossip than a gem of our status."

"And that is the burden of a Pearl to bear in silence. As is doing what we must for our Diamonds. How are you holding up, assisting Pink Diamond? This rebellion has been happening for some time. Do you believe there is an end in sight?"

"You know, if I did not know your Diamond so well, I would believe you were attempting to collect intel for her."

"And what intel would I get, that hasn't been placed in a report that could be gotten in the Diamond's archives? But, as you say, you know my Diamond, so you know she would have no interest in Pink Diamond's colony beyond its completion."

"Yes. But you haven't always been Orange Diamond's pearl, have you?"

"And you have always been Pink Diamond's Pearl?"

"Pearl, are you two arguing?"

Both Pearl's turned to look up in time to see Orange and Pink descending the stairs to them, Orange Diamond skipping down steps faster than Pink Diamond could keep up with.

"Oh no, is everything alright?" Pink's eyebrows knitted together in concern as she looked between the two.

"No, My Diamond, everything is perfectly fine." Orange's pearl bowed, giving the two a perfect salute, "we were just discussing a mission report."

"Ehh, no more work right now, Pearl." Orange smiled as she came to stop beside them, "come on, we're return to my room for some rest, its been a long trip."

"As you wish, my Diamond."

Pink and her Pearl watched as Orange lead her own pearl from the room, Pink's pearl following the other pearl until she was out of site.

"Pearl?" Pink called softly, noting the tension in her stance. "Is everything okay?"

Pearl hesitated a moment before nodding, giving Pink a small smile, "Everything is fine, my Diamond."