Chapter 15: A Pearl

Blue glanced down at her side, watching as Orange Diamond walked beside her and her Pearl, a little happy skip to her step. Orange had insisted on walking herself instead of allowing Blue to carry her, even if it was quicker do so. Against her better judgement, Blue had obliged, patiently walking slowly to allow Orange to keep step with her. Orange was slowly becoming more independent, starting to demand to do things by herself and it warmed Blue to see Orange taking control. They had been summoned by White, which meant a trip to her headship, which was almost always docked on Homeworld now. Blue was aware of why they were going, but Orange hadn't been told a thing, she was simply happy for the trip and the impromptu visit with White.

A surprise, White had said. Blue wasn't foolish enough to risk White's anger by going against her wishes. If she wanted this to be a surprise for Orange, Blue would keep quiet, even if Orange's constant questions could border on annoying, Blue always managed a little extra patience for her. As it was, Orange was incredibly excited to see White, especially since this was a spontaneous visit, and not to drop her off with only her Citrine escorts as company. Orange was perhaps the only one who would be so excited to go see White, it was almost like Orange had no fear. Ah, the ignorance of youth.

It was not a long trip to get to White's inner sanctum, only filled with Orange's humming as she looked around. When they reached the inner most doors, they were greeted by White's personal Pearl, who Orange smiled widely at, offering a wave in greeting.

"Blue Diamond," White's Pearl bowed to her, turning to give a smile to Orange and a bow of her own, "Orange Diamond." She glanced at Blue's pearl, a quick nod of acknowledgement passing between them before attention was returned to Blue, "White Diamond awaits you inside, my Diamonds."

They waited as this pearl opened the door and escorted them inside. White stood inside, waiting for them and she greeted Blue first, "Blue Diamond, it is good to see you so well."

"White Diamond," Blue gave her a respectful bow of her head, "it is good to see you as well." Blue turned to look at Orange, about to instruct her to bow to White as well, to show respect to the sole superior to every other Diamond, only to find her charging to White, "Orange!"

Orange either didn't hear her or ignored her and leapt at White, landing only part way up to hug her leg, laughing loudly, "White!"

White, who Blue looked at in worry for the smallest Diamond, merely bent over to pick her up before she slid from her place on her dress, holding her up in an open faced palm, "Hello little one. You should be more careful." Her eyes flicked towards Blue, "You scared Blue diamond."

Orange turned in her spot where she had been kneeling in White's palm to look at her, "Sorry!" she yelled, her voice carrying in the large room. Immediately after, she turned back to White, "Im just so happy to see you!"

This made White's smile widen, teeth and curled lips that made Blue's spine tingle in warning, but only made Orange giggle happily. "Thats good to hear, my dear little gem. I have something special for you."

Orange was leaning forward on her knees again, an excited grin breaking out on her face, "What? Really?"

"Yes," White motioned towards her pearl and they all turned to look at her as she brought something forward, a bubble, that she most definitely hadn't had before. When she reached the base of White's platform, White bent over and took the bubble from her, holding Orange in one hand and the bubble in between two pointed fingers of the other. "This," she held the bubble out to her, "is for you."

Orange hesitantly took the bubble, inspecting it. Inside was a perfectly round gem, except the simple band that wrapped around its middle. Orange's eyes widened from it to look up at White with wonder and excitement brighting her eyes, "Is-is this...a pearl? My own pearl?"

"Oh yes...as a Diamond, it is long over due for you to have your own. She will serve you well." White told her, and then leaned down once more, allowing Orange to climb down carefully from her hand, the bubbled pearl still clutched in her hands. "why don't you let her out, so you can meet her." White suggested.

Orange looked up at Blue, her wide eyes made the older Diamond smile and she nodded at Orange, who looked down in fascination as she held the bubble in one hand and used a single digit of the other to pop the bubble. She caught the gem between her hands before it could fall and a moment later it lifted in the air, bright light shining on her as the gem reformed. Orange never looked away, even when the light left spots dancing across her eyes, as she had never seen a gem reform before. After the gem had filled out from its pure light form, she floated to the floor, instantly dropping into a low bow to Orange.

"My Diamond, it is my honor to serve you." The gem's voice was soft and she glanced up at Orange with a smile, but did not lift up from her respectful bow.

Orange's mouth hung open, obviously stunned while looking at this new gem that served her, her, before coming back to herself and turned to White, all toothy smile and large awe filled eyes, hands clenched as she laughed excitedly, "Thank you!"

"You are most welcome,"

[Updated and corrected 1/1/21]