Laundry

Cole sorted through the laundry basket, listening to some grunge music. He separated the whites and placed them in a separate basket, to clean another time. Right now he was focused on the colours only. Carefully placing them in the washer, he made sure that Finn's favourite Super Mario shirt was washed so that he could wear it in a couple days when they planned to go to the local theme park. Finn secretly loved theme parks, but with his mother they could never go as she was always working for a poor wage. The two now live alone in Cole's small house. It was small, but homely. Standing up straight, Cole looked at the beautiful picture of his even-more gorgeous fiancée. He smiled, not wanting to tear up otherwise he would break down then the laundry couldn't be done. Picking up the basket full of white school and work shirts, the stepdad's attention was brought to a pile of Finn's clothes in the dark corner. Cole raised an eyebrow and fumbled through them. He noticed the jeans were wet, but the shirt was only at the waistband. Cole searched through the jeans for a possible source; maybe a strung-aside can or likewise. That's when he found a pair of stained-yellow white briefs.

"Ah. That explains the smell..." he said to himself. Finn had never moved onto boxers like the rest of the kids his age, still remaining in briefs at age fifteen. The man thought carefully about how he should deal with this. His stepson wasn't to arrive home for another two hours because of school. Remaining calm, Cole placed the wet clothes in the washer too and paused his music. He was at a dead end; unsure what to do in this moment. Then it hit him.

At 3:15, Finn was released from the clutches of school and began walking home slowly. There was a lot on his mind and it was all embarrassing, so he couldn't open up about it. Unexpectedly, his best friend jumped up on him from behind; the boy was short and light so he could do that without Finn toppling over. "Get off, stupid." Finn laughed a little and threw his friend off. Jamie recollected himself from off the floor, dusting his black school trousers off. Staring at Finn, Jamie raised an eyebrow, "What's up with you? You usually spark a conversation." Finn sort of dismissed this remark and sighed into the cold winter air; his breath becoming visible to the boys. "Just have a lot on my mind." Finn smiled lightly and continued walking. Jamie nodded, still a little suspicious, "Hm, alright... I'll see you tomorrow, yeah? Finally Friday!" He smiled wider than Finn, hoping to spark some kind of emotion from him. Finn nodded and barely smiled. He seemed really down in the weather. Jamie finally caved in and groaned, "What is wrong? Please tell me, I don't like seeing you down." He stopped Finn from walking, who also finally caved and sighed once more. "I, uh, wet myself... yesterday... after school." Finn blushed deeply, keeping a slightly intimidating face on. Jamie raised an eyebrow. "And I didn't mean to do it..." Finn sniffed, almost on the verge of tears.

Jamie tutted lightly, "Don't cry, stupid." He shook his head and laughed it off, "Who really cares? You were home alone. As long as you put them in the washer so nothing was suspicious, no-one will know." The sentence settled into Finn, and his eyes shot open widely. "Shit!" He quickly began sprinting, his messenger bag repeatedly hitting into him with every step. Jamie's eyes narrowed at his best friend run off into the distance, muttering to himself, "Stupid..." the boy began making his perpendicular journey home.

Finn rushed through the door, seeing his stepdad sitting on the couch with a mug of tea. He said a simple hello and rushed to the laundry room, peering over at the empty dark corner. "Fuck..." he muttered, opening the door to the living room to see Cole had moved from his original spot. "I-I'm sorry..." Finn started tearing up, sniffing sharply. Cole tutted lightly and pulled Finn in for a hug. He whispered to the boy, "Don't apologise, it must've been a mistake if you're this distraught over it..." Cole felt a little nod from Finn as the boy's head was in his chest. "Right, okay. Go get changed and play your PlayStation, I'll talk to you during dinner." He smiled warmly, with another nod from Finn, who quickly ran upstairs with tears no longer in his eyes.

Cole stared up at the roof, but imagined he was speaking with his passed-on fiancée. "What should I do, Jane...?" He whispered to himself, with a tear in his eye.