Capture the Flag 101

[AN: Yeah, I know its been ages, and you're not going to, but cut me some slack. Because... Yeah, I got nothing. Maybe another chapter will appease you.]
«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»

Percy stands at the top of Half-Blood Hill, next to the pine tree with the strange aura, and looks down at the horn in his hands. It's a sizable horn, made of smooth and pure ivory. The point sweeps in on a smooth curve, ending in a wickedly sharp point. And it was his. Percy's first monster kill was the Minotaur, and to make it better, he even got a spoil of war!

"Artemis and Zoe would be proud..." Percy murmurs to himself.

"What's that?"

Percy starts, and turns. Standing behind him is the satyr from before, Grover.

"Sorry." He says quickly,"I didn't mean to scare you."

Percy shakes his head, "Nah, it's cool. I'm just hanging out up here."

Grover goes to lean against the tree, but stops himself and instead sits down next to Percy, "I never thought about it, but this is actually a really nice spot up here."

Percy gazes out from the camp, "Yeah..."

Grover looks at him, "You're still uncomfortable being here at this camp, aren't you?"

"I don't belong here." Percy says, "It's too...disjointed."

Percy's thoughts quickly flash back to his time with the Hunt. Everything was closer. The Hunters were also closer. Luke called all the campers extended family, but the Hunt sure as Hades acted more like a family.

"What do you mean by that?" Grover asks.

Percy waves the question away, "Never mind." He then gestures towards the pine tree next to him, "Can you tell me what's up with this pine tree?"

Grover looks up at it, and then quickly down, "You mean Thalia's Pine? It's a long story." He looks down uncertainly.

Percy blinks and puts his hands up quickly, "Hey, you don't have to tell me! Its cool."

Percy puts his hands down as Grover sighs in relief, "Yeah, it's a difficult story."

The two sit next to each other in slightly uncomfortable silence for a few minutes. Percy shifts, unsure as to what to say or do. In the distance, a horn sounds, which Percy recognises as a conch shell, even though he has never heard one before.

Grover visibly relaxes, "That's the dinner call. You should be going."

"Yeah. Later Grover."

Percy stands up and begins to run down to the mess hall. After around one hundred meters, he turns back. The son of Poseidon sees Grover, kneeling by the tree, with his head bowed. Percy turns around and continues running.

Percy gets to the mess hall just as the last of the other campers were coming in and joins the line of campers going to get food. A nymph loads his plate up with all sorts of food. After getting his plate, Percy looks around for a place to sit. He's about to sit down in the closest seat, when he feels a tap on his shoulder.

"I'm gonna save you some embarrassment right now." Percy turns to see Luke standing behind him.

"What do you mean?" The new camper asks.

"Campers have to sit at the same table as their cabin-mates." Luke explains, "So you'll be sitting over there."

The son of Hermes points to an empty table, "That's yours over there."

"Thanks." Percy replies.

"Oh, and don't forget the burnt offering." Luke throws over his shoulder as he walks over to his table.

"Burnt offerings?" Percy looks around the mess hall, and notices the line of people walking towards a bronze fire pit and dumping party of their dinner into the fire. Percy follows suit.

After everyone had sat down, Chiron stands up and bangs his hoof on the stone flooring. The entire hall quiets down.

"To the Gods." He proclaims.

"To the Gods." Everyone repeats.

Dionysus stands next to the activities director, "Well, I suppose it's time for some formalities. I...welcome...our new campers: Peter Johnson,"

Chiron whispers in his ear.

"Er, Percy Jackson, and Jameson-"

Again Chiron whispers in the camp director's ear.

"Jonathan! Jonathan Welles. Yes welcome brats to the camp."

Percy and Jonathan received a round of applause.

"And also take note that Capture the Flag will occur this Friday. Presently, Cabin Six holds the laurels."

Ugly cheering rose from a table consisting of Clarisse and a group of equally rowdy and volatile people.

"Now, that should do." Dionysus sits back down.

After dinner came the campfire, where the entire camp sat around a giant, well, fire. [A/N Where else would you get the name?] They all sang silly, somewhat convoluted songs and after some time, retired to their cabins.

The next morning, Percy woke up to find a Manila folder protruding out from under his door. He opens it up to find an activities schedule, as well as a formal written welcome to Camp Half-Blood. Percy puts that aside and looks over his schedule. But before he can look at it in any depth, the conch horn sounds and Percy hurriedly shoves the sheet of paper into his pocket and rushes out of the cabin.

At around midday, Percy is leaning on the side of a bridge, looking down at the small creek floating under him. He feels a presence behind him.

"You know what I love about running water?" Percy closes his eyes and breathes deeply, "The sound. There's something about the natural sound of running water that seems to cleanse you, you know?"

Percy opens his eyes and turns around to see Annabeth, "But I'm guessing you're not here to talk about running water, are you Ms. Chase?"

"No, I'm not." She replies guardedly, "I'm here to see whether or not Athena and Poseidon could form a temporary alliance against Ares. For Capture the Flag." She adds on the last part quickly.

Percy turns back towards the side of the bridge and looks over the edge, mulling the offer over.

After a few moments, he turns back and holds out his hand, "Sure. I'm in."

"Really? Great, now we just need to iron out the details-"

"That's easy." Percy cuts her off, "Teach me how to play: rules, tactics, strategy, anything you can think of."

"That's it?" Annabeth pauses as Percy nods, "Ok then. Deal."

The two walk off, Percy listening intently as Annabeth explains everything to him

«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»
[A/N And a long hiatus is rewarded with a long chapter. Hope you enjoyed!

Vote. Comment. Be awesome.
Leonidas_son_of_Nike]