You Kiss My Face And We're Both Drunk

"Excuse me miss, are you Maren Mulligan?" a gentleman's voice startled her as she exited  the ladies room with her head buried in her phone.

"I am, and you are..?" She questioned as she tried to size up the man. She really needed to get back to the ballroom, everyone was wondering where she was, and this stranger was making her nervous.

"My name is Tom, I write for the NY POST," he said taking out a card and holding it out in her direction.

The high Maren was feeling 5 minutes ago, disappeared in an instant, replaced with fear. She immediately turned to walk away.

"So I'm guessing you don't have any comment about Brian Quinn," the reporter questioned snidely as she continued to put further distance between them. The reporter countered smugly, "Okay then, do you know a Jason Murdock?"

Maren froze in place. Immediately she tensed up but took a deep breath. "Motherfucker"  she muttered to herself under her breath, shaking her head. She turned on her heels and walked back towards the reporter.

"I'm sorry, Tom.. I didn't catch your last name?" Maren said with a sweet smile on her face. He again tried handing her his business card.

"Mulvaney," he said with a smile. Maren took the card from his hard, narrowed her eyes and moved closer to him.

"Was there no Real Housewives or Kardashian's drama going going on in the city this evening that you had to show up to a CHARITY event for CHILDREN WITH CANCER to snoop around looking for a story that doesn't exist?" Maren was thoroughly annoyed, but decided to kill him with kindness

Tom smiled, put his hands in his pockets, chuckled a little and looked back up at Maren, "Miss Mulligan, I have sources who—"

"No, what you have is a disgruntled, jealous ex boyfriend spreading lies, and a few pictures of coworkers having dinner. You also have no dignity or self respect showing up, like I said at at a CHARITY EVENT trying to dig around for more "salacious" gossip for your readers. You want a comment from me? Here's one: Get a real job. Have a good night Tom!" 

So, it turns out killing him with kindness flew out the window once Maren heard the word "sources".  She walked back in to the ballroom and noticed her left hand was shaking. "Shit" she said under her breath. A drink was needed, so she made her way towards the bar.

Jason has already talked to a reporter. "Fuck" she was screaming in her head. He thought she was calling his bluff.  The bartender handed her a martini and she drank it quickly, but jumped and spilled some when she felt someone grab at her arm.

"What happened?!? The elevator got stuck?! You were stuck with Brian?!" Kelsey asked looking  stressed. She ordered a drink from the bar and switched off her mic pack and took out her earpiece. The night was almost over and Kelsey was thankful for that. The orchestra was playing and people were dancing.

"Yes, elevator got stuck... Oh and did you know there is a NY Post reporter here?," Maren was annoyed and anxious. Not a good combination.

Kelsey looked suspiciously at her friend. "Yes there were several media passes given out to cover the event this evening," Kelsey replied sipping her drink, not seeing the big deal.

Maren was getting more annoyed by the second, "So you thought it was smart to extend one to The NY Post, who ran the article about Brian and I?!"

Kelsey shook her head slightly and looked up at her friend, "Maren, you have to understand, I couldn't exclude the second biggest paper in the city because of an article they ran insinuating that Brian was no longer a bachelor. I'm the Public Relations Director  for TruTV. I have to act in the best interest of the network that I work for, " Kelsey explained slightly annoyed at Maren because she knows this.