I Don't Want You Like a Best Friend

Brian was so captivated by what was happening on the small stage in front of him, he didn't even bother to read the response that came over his screen.

Sal: Umm...excuse me?

Watching Maren up there was as natural as watching a fish swim in a pond. A usually shy and timid woman was standing up there; her voice demanding people's attention. Her little body released this power that was almost overwhelming to him. If her voice didn't shock him, her eye contact certainly did. As she continued to sing, she kept looking at him with this sexiness that was both beautiful but also a turn on. He had been feeling things these past couple weeks that he had never felt for her, or any woman, before but tonight the feelings were only growing.

Once she finished the song, everyone including himself, stood and clapped for her performance. It was then that he saw the Maren he was familiar with. The shy woman that blushed when the wind blew too strongly. She quickly scurried back to where he was and sat down, her cheeks rosy with excitement.

"Wow, that was just...wow." Brian said shaking his head in amazement. "I had absolutely no idea."

"No one does. It's my little secret. I usually only do it if no one I know is here." She admitted. Even though her and Kelsey had been here so many times, she never once got up there with her here. It surprised her she actually had the guts to do it with Brian here watching.

"All the connections you have after working with us all this time and you've never tried to send something out there?" He asked.

"Are you kidding?" She laughed, "I would never!"

The cocktail waitress was making her rounds and stopped in front of them. "We doing another round?" Maren asked.

"I'm game." He answered sitting back more into the sofa getting ready to listen to the next act.

They both turned their attention to the short red head who had taken Maren's vacant spot on stage. "This poem is titled 'A Silent Love'." She spoke into the mic.

"How can you deny me?
Something that is so true.
Our friendship is worth the world to me.
But my dream is to be close to you."

As the poem was read, Brian reached his arm back resting it on the cushion behind Maren. Both their hearts where beating faster with each passing word of the poem.

We support each other endlessly,
Given hope through thick and thin.
But my heart bleeds constantly to be near you.
Whispering the word, when?

Brian glanced down as discreetly as possible to the woman who was sitting to his left. Her eyes were glued to the stage as she listened to the poem and as hard as Brian was trying to be polite to the poet up there, all he could focus on was Maren.

I gave you a path to my heart,
And on it you certainly found your way.
No lying in my spirit
I dream of us everyday.

Maren listened to each word, hanging onto every verse. After a night that typically would have left her a crumbled mess, she found herself never more at peace. Taking a deep relaxing breath in, she scooted a little closer to the man sitting next to her and very softly laid her head against his shoulder. At first she thought she made the wrong move when she felt him stiffen but was relieved when he quickly relaxed and placed a hand on her leg giving it a small squeeze.

And now it's the mystery that lies within you
Your soul I wish to be near.
But as for now, I will continue loving you, quietly remaining here.