2.2 - Family my ass

Chapter 2

The maids were preparing dinner food for us while me and dad are sharing a cup of tea while talking about my long some-what vacation in New York.

Of course he knew I studied mass communications in NYU but he doesn't actually know that I actually graduated again. He was too busy running this darn country while his daughter suffered from depression somewhere else in the world.

Suffered.

I believe I can say that I'm so much better now. It's been a year since I got to be normal again. All thanks to those who were actually with me in the journey.

Dinner was prepared and we went to the dining area but as I was about to sit, he happened.

"Yo, folks! Sorry we're late, may dinaanan pa kami, e."

I don't even know if I should give him my attention and face him, but I did anyway.

Damn this reflex.

"Uy, Kath. Sup, baby sis?"

I was taken aback by his merriment and this time my reflexes sided with me. I unconsciously raised an eyebrow as far up high as I could.

I was still undecided whether I should speak or not when he just casually reached for my waist and pulled me closer and pressed his right cheek against mine.

"Welcome back."

His ways startled me and I think everybody saw that but ignored it.

He sat beside tita Dawn and Bianca beside him.

Wondering where I would sit, dad called me and told me to sit beside him.

I tried to ignore the uncomfortable atmosphere here by appreciating the food.

It's nice to try real filipino food this time but I sure miss mom's cooking. She made the best sinigang ever.

Dad saw me staring at the sinigang and he held my hand from underneath the table and sadly smiled at me.

Yeah, I know you miss him too, dad.

"So, Kath, how was New York?" Bianca was attempting to start a conversation with me. "Madami bang gwapo?"

"Pinagsasa-sabi mo diyan?!" Gino intruded her.

Gee, annoying.

Okay, Bianca. Let's try to be civil and casual.

"Men there are wayyy different compared to the boys here." emphasis on the 'boys.'

"Did you get to date some? I bet you did." she cheerfully said the last sentence. Why do I feel like there's something there? Or am I just guilty to be the former female cassanova back in the day?

"May boyfriend ka na ba, Kathryn?" tita Dawn asked while I saw dad waiting for my answer.

Gino was just busy eating. Not that I care, I just noticed while looking at Bianca and Tita Dawn.

*Facetime ringtone*

Oh, it's Billy! I should probably answer this since we haven't spoke for a while after he drop me off the airport.

"I'm just gonna take this outside, excuse me for a bit."

I answered the call as I walk out of the room.

("Oh hey, Kach.) I walked towards the railings of the patio just outside the dining area. (Sorry I was asleep.)

"Hey! How was your day? I couldn't reach you earlier. Where were you? Wait, are you sleeping?"