Chapter 4

A/N: Pic of Diego (Mario Lopez) ^^^^^  

It's hard to picture him mean, I know, I know. Lol. 

I stripped and left my clothes at the beginning of the forest, and then I shifted and ran after Diego. I followed his scent, which, in all of his anger and sadness he must've forgotten to hide. I could also smell Ryder, but I wasn't yet ready to talk to him. I wasn't ready to talk to Diego either, but it had to be done. I didn't want him to reject me. Ryder would surely kill him then. 

I found Diego sitting by a pond, no longer in wolf form. Somehow he had gotten a T-shirt and khaki shorts. I shifted into human form so I could talk to him. I covered myself as much as I could using my arms. 

"Diego?"

He didn't acknowledge me.

"I'm sorry. Can I at least explain what you saw?" 

"No, I'm not stupid. I know what I saw. I saw my mate betraying me by kissing someone else." He sneered. I couldn't see his eyes, but he wasn't attacking me so I assumed he was in control.

"It's not what you think." I tried.

"So you didn't kiss him?"

"Well...yes."

"I thought so, and nothing you can say will excuse that. I saw the whole thing so I know you did it willingly. What else is there to say?" 

I sighed. He was right, but it wouldn't hurt to try and explain. "He blackmailed me. I know that's not a good excuse, but technically we're not together, so I really didn't cheat on you."

This time he turned towards me. When he saw me his eyes turned black with lust for a moment before he shook his head and they changed back to brown. He took off his shirt and tossed it to me. "What did he use to blackmail you?" 

"He said he would tell Ryder that I found my mate." He rolled his eyes but I continued. "That may not seem like a big deal to you, but if he told Ryder about you, Ryder would know I kept you a secret for a reason, and we both know what that reason is. If Ryder found out, he would kill you. And don't think that just because you're the Alpha that you're stronger than him, because given the right motives, Ryder could kill you." 

"So you're telling me that by kissing him, you were helping me in the long run?" He said sarcastically.

He was seriously upsetting me but I remained calm. He was acting like I was one of those girls on TV that cheat on their boyfriends and say they did it to protect them. I have yet to see a movie where the girls cheats and says it's to save her soon-to-be-boyfriend's life.

I sighed. "I did it to save my friendship with Ryder and to keep you from being killed or severely hurt. You do, of course, have the right to be mad at me, but if I forgave you for making this the worst day of my life, then I think you can forgive me for this."

He frowned. "Fine. And you're right, we aren't together yet. I want to change that."

"It's going to take me a while to be...comfortable enough around you to make a commitment."

"Ok, I respect that." He nodded, our past argument already forgotten. "Oh, can I ask you something?" 

"Go ahead."

"Where did you get those scars?"

I looked down to see that the make up was beginning to come off. Shoot. "I...um...scraped myself...on something." He furrowed his eyebrows, "It's only a few scrapes, what does it matter?"