Chapter 37: Broken

CHAPTER 37

Ryan stumbles backwards with both hands covering his nose, which is dripping blood all over my floor. At first I’m frozen with shock, but then I see Harry raise his arm to hit him again and I snap out of it.

“Hey!” I shout, running out from my hiding spot. “What the hell is going on?”

“Leah,” Harry begins to say, but I ignore him and angrily stomp over towards Ryan.

“Hey, I have some first aid stuff in my bathroom,” I tell him while gingerly removing his hands so I can look at his face. My lips pull into a grimace; I’m almost positive that Harry broke his nose.

“Go clean up and then I’ll take you to the hospital,” I sigh, pushing him gently in the direction of my bathroom.

Once Ryan has disappeared down the hall, I turn back to face Harry. For a second we just stare at one another, and then I find my voice again.

“What are you doing here?” I ask. “And why did you feel the need to break my ex-boyfriend’s nose?”

Instead of answering my questions, Harry asks one of his own. “What the hell is he doing here?” Then, in an even angrier tone, he says, “Did you sleep with him?”

“Of course not!” I throw my hands up in the air, already exasperated. “Now, you have thirty seconds to answer my questions or else I’m kicking you out of my apartment.”

Harry lets out a frustrated breath. “I came here…I came here to finish the conversation we were having on the phone.”

“We are so not about to have that conversation right now,” I inform him angrily. “Actually, right now I have to go get ready to take Ryan to the freaking hospital, thanks to you.”

“Leah, I’m sorry, okay? It was just an instinct thing. I mean, I hated him so much after you told me what he did to you…he totally deserved it.”

I sigh, and when I speak again, my voice is softer. “But Ryan didn’t actually do all those things to me. That’s what he came here to tell me tonight.”

“What?”

“It was all Kenna. You know, my ex-best friend who Ryan cheated on me with.”

“Well,” Harry nods. “Now I feel like a dumbass.”

“A total dumbass,” I agree.

At that moment, Ryan emerges from the bathroom. Feeling thankful that he’s not dripping blood everywhere anymore, I walk over to him and grab my purse.

“We don’t have to go to the hospital, I’m fine,” Ryan tries to tell me but I shake my head.

“Your nose is broken, we’re going,” I sigh.

I start to make my way to the door but Harry stops me. “Wait, Leah, can we talk really quick?”