Chapter 3: Opportunity

CHAPTER 3

Edward munches on his chocolate cluster while I follow him wearily through the streets. My trust in him is fading quickly- what if he is leading me to his basement to kill me or something of that sort? I’m just about to quietly ditch him when he makes a sharp turn and walks through the doors of a large building. I try to catch the name before I dash inside after him, but the skyscraper is much too tall for me to see.

“Where are we?” I ask suspiciously. You’d think if a random old guy walked into a fancy building like this, security would be called immediately. On the contrary, people wave and smile at Edward as we walk by. Things are getting stranger by the second.

Edward avoids my question. “There’s someone I would like you to meet.”

I question him all throughout our ride in the elevator, but instead of answering he simply laughs. Finally, he leads me to the very end of a long hallway. We stop in front of a big mahogany door. Very fancy. Very expensive.

Just above the door, there is a name printed.

Harry Styles, it reads.

My heart drops to my stomach. I know who Harry Styles is, alright; when you work in the New York business world it is impossible not to. The man is well known for his overflowing wealth and supposed good looks, but I’ve also heard among the rumor mill that he is one of the rudest men you’ll ever meet.

However, he also happens to own one of the biggest, most successful businesses in all of New York, and the entire country for that matter. Styles Enterprises. It occurs to me that must be where I am standing this very instant.

“You know Harry Styles?” I ask wearily.

Edward doesn’t reply. Instead, he raises his fist and bangs on the door very loudly until it swings open to reveal a young man donning an expensive looking suit and a very angry expression.

I can feel a blush rising in my usually pale cheeks against my will; the rumors did not do this man justice. His suit hugs tight to his body, emphasizing his toned, muscled chest. His eyes are an electrifying green, his lips perfectly pink. His hair is a brown, curly mop atop his head that he keeps pushing out of his eyes.

He is beautiful.

And then, he opens his mouth.

“What is it, Grandfather?” he snarls.

My eyebrows shoot up. First of all, the other rumors about him were proving to be very true as well, including the one about him being a condescending jackass. And secondly, what the hell did he just say? Grandfather?

It all falls into place very quickly. Edward avoiding telling me his last name, then saying he knew a place that would hire me.

“Edward,” I say. “I think you forgot to mention a couple key things about yourself.”

Harry’s eyes immediately snap to me, noticing my presence for the first time. His eyes scan over me carelessly and he turns away, unimpressed.

“Who’s she?” he asks very rudely.

My cheeks flame up again, but this time out of anger. Noticing my expression, Edward quickly intervenes.

“This,” Edward announces, “Is Miss Leah Evans. She will be your new personal secretary.”

Both my mouth and Harry’s fall open in unison.

“How do I know she’s qualified? She didn’t even have an interview!” Harry shouts.

“Lower your voice, boy. Leah is very skilled and worked for Miller, Inc. for several years. I’m sure she will live up to your every expectation,” Edward says.

Though I’ve kept my mouth shut this entire time, my mind is racing with thoughts. I am more than qualified to be an assistant, thank you very much. Hell, I was in line to become CEO of Miller before Ryan ruined everything for me.

But as my shock subsides, I realize that this job is probably the best thing that could have happened to me. It would have been a pain to move from the city. And what would I have said to everyone? Besides, Edward did all this for me and for that I am eternally grateful. Even though I’ve known the man less than a day we are already very close, and he’s like a father figure to me. Or….grandfather.

“Thank you, Edward,” I finally say. “Mr. Styles, I will let you know that I have been in the business world for quite some time now, and I’m confident you will not be disappointed with my performance.”

Harry is staring at me and gaping, which makes it clear that none of his employees, especially his brand new secretary, has ever talked to him this way. Next to me, Edward chuckles.

“Very well,” Harry says gruffly. “You can start tomorrow. Be here no later than 8:00 a.m. Edward, show her around the building and teach her the ropes. She can have the office next to mine on the left.”

Edward nods, and we begin walking back down the hall, but Harry calls out from behind us, “One more thing, Miss Evans…if you put one toe out of line, I will personally see that you are fired,” he says smoothly, and I can see the smirk on his face from here.

However, I know this won’t happen, so I smile right back at him and say, “Yes, sir.”

************************

Almost 200 reads?? You guys are amazing. So sorry for waiting so long to post this, I just wanted to make sure people were actually interested and stuff. Also sorry this chapter is so short, the next one is MUCH longer. 

dedication to @tinytabi for being the first comment on the last chapter and finding this story all by herself(;

ILY -zizi