Chapter 15: Annoying

CHAPTER 15

Liam is calling me. It takes me less than a second to remember that I forgot to ever text him back. I’m such a bad friend, I reprimand myself as I answer the call. “Hello?”

“Leah? Are you alright?”

I sigh. “I’m fine. Sorry for not replying to your text earlier, I got really distracted.”

“It’s fine,” he chuckles. “But it’s not fine that you missed your workout…”

I roll my eyes, knowing that he can’t see me. “Come on, give me a break.”

“No breaks!” Liam exclaims and I laugh, pressing the phone up closer to my ear as I take another sip of my coffee. “Can you come in after work one day this week? We need to do a makeup workout.”

I glance quickly at my calendar and ask, “Does Thursday night work?”

“Um,” he hesitates. “How about Friday?”

“What’s so special about Friday?”

“Because if we worked out on Friday, I could take you out for dinner afterwards,” Liam admits.

I feel my breath catch in my throat. Liam is such a great and caring friend, and obviously really fit, but I never really thought of him as anything more. Harry always held that place in my mind.

Harry. I spot at the note to Cassie still sitting on my desk and scowl. It seems like he’s moving on fast enough and I guess that means I should to.

“Next Friday. I’d love to,” I tell Liam and I can feel him smiling through the phone.

“Awesome. It’s a date.”

After ending the call, I push my hair back and stare once more at the letter to Cassie. Stupid Cassie. I hate her already.

Harry pokes his head into my office. “Leah, what are you doing? The meeting starts in twenty minutes! Get down to the conference room and go set up!”

I know he’s stressed but I’m pissed, and that’s definitely not a good combination. Instead of telling him to go set it up himself I just wait until he turns back around and then I silently give him the finger.

When I push open the door to the conference room, I spot a familiar head of grey hair and smile. It seems like Edward wouldn’t miss this meeting for anything.

“As usual, everything looks wonderful,” he says as he gives me a hug. I roll my eyes and place some papers on the table. “Edward, I literally just walked in,” I point out and he just shakes his head.

I walk around the room, making tiny adjustments to the platters of cheese and crackers, setting up some water, and double checking that the power point is perfect. Edward watches me with a small smile.