21 | What Do I Mean To You?

Start from the beginning

My brows furrowed in confusion as I stared at my step-brother. Did he seriously just lie for me? Henri has goodie-two-shoes written all over him, but he lied just so I wouldn't get in trouble? He was way too good to be true. "Henri..."

"It's okay, Lexi," he breathed out. "I didn't know you were grounded. I just wanted you to like me."

When I glanced over at my mother, her eyes were twinkling with joy. "Aw!" She cooed as she flailed her arms around Henri, capturing him into a hug. "Look what he did for you, Lex! And you were worried he'd be a bratty emo kid."

His eyes shot to mine.

Not being able to help myself, I laughed. "Yeah, well this bratty emo kid is kind of cool."

"Tell you what," she announced. "You're going to go down to that frozen yogurt place those young people like to go to, and meet up with your cousins. How about you take Henri with you?"

My jaw grew slack, falling open slightly. "My cousins? As in Brady and Hanna? Did you forget about what happened the last time I hung out with them?" I questioned incredulously, my body shivering with the thought of those demon spawns. "I swear, if I ever see Brady again, I'm going to cut off his balls and hang them in my room."

Henri cleared his throat and took another step away from me.

My mom's lips pulled into a tight lipped grin. "Your aunt and I discussed it, and thought you should apologize to him. She's made sure that he'll behave this time and I really want you to go. After all, you guys are family. Better start acting like it."

Leave it to my mother to find ways to set me up with the most annoying people on earth. Surely, she wasn't doing it for my benefit. She's only doing it for her own amusement. "I don't want to go," I said bravely.

Mom must have anticipated this because her response was,"You can even take the car." An innocent smile followed, because she knew that she hit the spot. She knew I hated walking and would do anything to drive, so telling me I could take her car for a spin was the icing on the cake. Even if the cake was made by the devil.

"Fine," I let out under my breath as I sauntered over to the door and reached for the keys that were located on what was meant to be the coat rack, but Mom insisted it was a keyholder instead. "Henri, you coming?" I inquired as I glanced back at him over my shoulder.

He averted his gaze from my mother and stalked over to my side, not saying a single word.

We walked to my mom's all-black Nissan, but before either us could get inside, I spoke up. "Hey Henri, I'm going to go have a nice chat with Adam. Do you mind staying here for a few minutes? It'll be quick." I shot him a reassuring smile as I twirled the keys around my index finger. To be honest, I knew it would take me while to set things straight with Adam, but I didn't want Henri to know that.

"Are you going to hurt him?" He asked suddenly, dark eyes glistening with curiosity.

"Me?" I scoffed, playing a hand over my heart. "Hurt Adam? What for? He didn't do anything wrong."

Henri's head lowered slightly as he sent me a disapproving look. "Don't do it, Lexi. I know you're mad, but he had his reasons for-"

"It's only a quick talk," I interrupted, reassuring him and myself. Not giving him the chance to drill his morals into me, I turned on my heel and trudged towards the house next door. Anger climbed to the surface of my skin so much so that I ignored the sign that said KEEP OFF THE GRASS, and padded straight through the green lawn.

Once I arrived at the Adam's front door, I rang the doorbell five times. I wasn't exactly prepared for his parents to answer the door, so I was slightly relieved when my gaze landed on a pair of bright, electric, blue eyes.