Chapter 10: Laila

Jessica's POV

"So Jessica's mom is a magician and her dad is an Alpha?" Jake asked his eyes were wide with surprise.

"Yes." Malcolm nodded.

"Whoa! Jessica you're going to be an Alpha!" Sophie squealed. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Uh," I forced myself to smile but it came out as a wince. "I don't know if I want to be an Alpha."

"It's hard in the beginning, but it'll get better once you find your mate." Sophie said as she unconsciously grabbed Brandon's hand.

"It'll probably take ten more years for her." Dante scoffed. "By then, your mate wouldn't want you."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Shut up. It's not like you have a mate either."

His silence made me feel triumphant. Until he spat out, "That's true, I don't have one. It's not like she'd ever want me back."

"Dante," Brent said sadly. "It wasn't your fault."

"You know very well that it was my fault." Dante hissed. His eyes were bright with fury.

"No, it wasn't." Brent said calmly. "Just because you made a mistake, it was her fault for not accepting your apology."

"But I-"

"Dante," a cold voice said. I eyes widened when I found out it was Malcolm who had spoken. I have not heard a voice so empty and cold before.

The air seemed to follow the magician's tone as it seemed to grow chillier.

"I suggest you go for a run." Malcolm said his expression clear of emotion.

Dante bowed quickly. "Y-yes sir."

Once he left, I stared at Malcolm, dumbfounded. He ignored my gaze as he stared at the ground.

'What just happened?' Logan asked through the pack's mind link.

'Don't ask.'

"What just happened?" I glared at Logan who had disobeyed me.

"Nothing," Malcolm muttered. Then he vanished with a puff of smoke.

Logan yelped, "Whoa!"

"There they go," Oliver whistled. "All over the Laila thing again."

"Oliver," Brent hissed. "Be careful. Malcolm could still be here."

"He's not here, Worrywart." Oliver rolled his eyes. "I can't sense him."

"That doesn't mean you mention her name when you feel like it."

Then I noticed Drew and Penny staring at each other. I've caught those two looking at each others' direction many times.

I reached behind Logan's broad shoulders and pinched Penny's ear. She yelped and her head whipped around to see me glaring at her.

"What?" She whispered.

"Stop staring at him. It's weird." I snapped.

"Wh-what staring?" She tried to cover up her mistake.

I rolled my eyes and focused on Brent and Oliver who were still arguing. After listening, I stood up. "If you guys at going to continue like this, I'll be leaving."

"I'm coming." Logan jumped up and he took Penny's hand and tugged her up with him. Penny briefly looked in someone's direction before trailing behind Logan.

I lead them to my room and fell onto the sofa that was facing the television. They sat on either side of me and I lean my head on Logan's shoulder. I felt him lean his head on top of mine and Penny sighed, "Any movies?"

"Not in here." I mumbled tiredly. "I think there are some in the living room."

"Okay, you stay here. I'll go get some." She stood up and left.

"She's going to get some kind of chick flick." Logan said, stating the obvious.

"It's okay," I said. "I'll be asleep soon so I won't have to listen to her cry."

"Yeah, I think I'll also sleep." Logan yawned.

"You're my favorite boy friend, you know?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I know I'm the best." Logan grinned.

I punched his thigh and he flinched. "Careful there. Any higher, you won't be seeing any Logan Juniors."

I laughed lightly and we settled in silence. As minutes passed, I began getting patient. "Logan," I called softly. I got a snore for a reply so I slipped my head out and replaced the empty spot with a pillow.

I smiled at my best friend and went to look for my other best friend who was starting to tick me off.

Just as I opened the door, Penny appeared. "Sorry," she said out of breath. Her hair was wild and sticking out at odd angles. Her face was bright red and it looked like she had reapplied her makeup in a rush.

"What happened to you? Your makeup was fine before." I commented. "You didn't have to reapply it."

She forced a grin onto her face. "Sorry, I thought I needed to touch up. But I'm here and I've got the movies."

I was suspicious now. She should be squealing because she got about five movies to watch. Even weirder is, she never reapplies her makeup.

I frowned and let her in. I need to keep watch of her. Something's wrong and my curiosity is starting to kill me.

"Logan's asleep." I said aloud.

"Okay," Penny chirped. "We'll just wake him up."

"Yeah, I don't want to deal with crying Penny by myself." I said to myself.

"Did you say something?" Penny asked as she approached Logan.

"Nothing," I said sweetly.

"Logan, wake up," Penny said softly.

"You know you don't wake him up like that," I laughed, "he won't stir. You have to do this." I went behind Logan and placed my hands on his back. With some strength, I pushed him off the couch.

Once his body connected with the floor, he sat up screaming. He shut up when he saw us looking at him.

"Nightmare?" I asked as I grinned at him. "Did you dream you were falling off a cliff?"

"Evil bitch." Logan mumbled.

Penny punched his arm and he yelped. "No swearing!" She scolded.

"That just means female dog, Pen." Logan rolled his eyes. "Jessica is a female wolf after all."

"Ha ha," Penny said unamused.

"Who do you think Laila is?" I asked out of the blue.

"I think she's Dante's mate." Penny said.

"Duh," Logan rolled his eyes again. "Who else?"

"Guys," I interrupted. "I mean who is Laila to Malcolm? He seemed quite off when they began talking about her."

Penny and Logan both shrugged. "Some who's close to him?" Logan offered.

I nodded. "Someone who's very close to him."

"Why don't we start the movie to take our minds off this for a while?" Penny offered as she held up the movies.

"Go ahead." I hopped over the couch and sat in between Logan and Penny again.

The movie title appeared and I ushered Logan to get a few boxes of tissues for Penny. She'll be flooding the pack house with her tears when our dear Jack dies.

~

QOTD: How's your first day of school?

B00kster :(