Chapter 8: Midnight Snacks

Jessica's POV

"This is where you'll be sleeping." Oliver said and he pointed at a door.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"Alpha Tegan said that you don't have to come down for dinner if you aren't hungry." Brent said.

"Okay. I think I will skip today. I need to unpack." I said.

"Okay, hope you feel welcomed here, Jessica." Brent said making Oliver snort.

"Hitting on her?" He asked. "That's new."

"No, I'm being friendly with my future Alpha." Brent rolled his eyes.

"Yeah," I mumbled and showed him a weak thumbs up. "Future Alpha."

"You don't seem so keen on being Alpha." Brent said.

"Too much responsibilities." I shrugged.

"That's why you have a mate. Have you found him?"

I lied and shook my head. Why? They don't need to know he ran away from me.

Brent patted my shoulder. "Don't worry, none of us have found our mates yet."

•••

I stared blankly at the ceiling and my stomach growled loudly. I need Logan to make me my midnight dish.

I snatched up my phone and walked down to the kitchen. I dialed Logan's number and he picked it up after one ring.

"Hello?"

"Did I wake you?" I asked.

"Nope. I thought that I'd be able to get a full night's rest for once in my life. Unfortunately, you've made me automatically wake up at twelve." Logan said. "So, what's up? Hungry?"

"I'm in the kitchen waiting for my food." I replied. "Can you come over?"

"Don't you live, like two days away?" Logan questioned.

"Yes," I mumbled.

"Sorry, Jess. No can do."

"What if I cook over here and you direct me?" I asked hopefully.

I heard him laugh. "And have you burn the house down? I don't think so."

I huffed. "Then how do I eat?"

"I don't know. Solve that problem yourself." Logan said.

"Oh, yeah." I said. "How about breakfast? Do you have your laptop on?"

"Yeah, yeah," Logan grumbled, "I'll look for a pizza place for you."

"And can you order Meat Lovers?" I asked. "I will pay."

"Of course, anything for my dear Jessie." Logan cooed, sarcasm dripping off his voice.

"Thank you, Logan." I grinned to myself. "I love you."

"Love you too." He muttered before he cut the line.

I shoved my phone into my pocket and opened the fridge. I frowned when nothing stood out.

"Where's the food?" I muttered to myself. "There no food? Do these people even know what chicken is?"

"We know what chicken is." A voice chuckled behind me.

I jumped and my head banged against the roof of the fridge. I pulled my head out and saw Brent standing in the kitchen doorway.

"What are you doing?" He asked strolling towards me.

"Food." I said closing the fridge's door and began opening cabinets. "Do you own any meat? Can you cook?"

"Yes, we have meat, and yes, I can cook." Brent said those words that made me grin.