Chapter 20

We checked in the bags and security and waited at the gate for a while. No one talked.

I was sitting next to Hayes watching their fans screaming at them from a distance while security guards kept them in place. Aaron sat on my left while Hayes on my right.

"Hey, I'm gonna go take a few pictures with fans. Wanna come?" Aaron asked me.

"No thanks, but you go have fun," I said. Aaron got up from his seat and then planted a quick kiss on my cheek before walking up to the fans with Matt and Carter.

Hayes and I were left with Cameron, Nash and Shawn.

"So you and Aaron are still together?" Hayes asked.

"Yeah. I don't think that's changing any time soon," I told him.

He nodded slightly and avoided looking at my face.

"Look I want you to know that I'm really sorry for everything this summer. I've been a terrible friend and you didn't deserve to he lied to," Hayes told me.

"I'm sorry, too. I mean, the beginning of the summer was the best time of my life, but maybe if I wasn't such a wound up jerk most of the time the rest of the summer would have been equally fun.

"So let's forget about this summer and make next year better," I said.

"That would be great." He smiled sadly.

"Hey you two, are you guys hungry? There's still a lot of time before we have to board," Nash said. "Want us to get food?"

"No, we can get it. What do you guys want?" Hayes said.

Nash, Cameron and Shawn told me what they wanted to eat while Hayes went to ask Matt, Carter and Aaron. Then we both walked to the food court part of the airport.

I ordered chicken nuggets and a lemonade. Hayes ordered for everyone and himself then we sat at an open table.

"We could've gone to some fancy Italian restaurant and I still would have asked for chicken nuggets," I told him.

"Yeah I know. You haven't changed a bit," Hayes said while laughing.

We talked a little more and finished eating before bringing the food back to the other guys.

When we got back to our gate the fans were gone and the guys were all sitting down.

"What took you guys so long? I'm starving," Matt said as we handed them their food.

"We decided to eat in the food court. When do you guys start boarding?" I said.

"I'm about half an hour," Cameron said with his mouth full.

The guys ate for about ten minutes and we all messed around the rest of the time. All the people who were boarding the plane with them were gonna have a long trip ahead of them.

***

"Flight 21B may begin boarding, starting with first class," we all heard over the intercom.

That means all the boys were boarding first.

"Well, this is it," I said sadly. "You guys have fun!"

"We will, but it won't be as fun without you," Cameron said. He wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm gonna miss you, kid " He said. I let go of him and he headed onto the plane.

I hugged each of them and watched them all board. It made me sad. Now only Aaron and Hayes were left.

"I'll text you before we take off and when we land. Actually I'll just try to text you as much as possible," Aaron said. I hugged him tightly. 

He let go and kissed my forehead before getting on the plane. There were tears in my eyes threatening to spill.

I turned to Hayes.

He wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"I'm gonna miss you," I said into his chest.

"I love you so much, Jess," Hayes said.

Then I started crying.

"I love you, too," I sobbed.

Then he let go and headed towards the plane. He turned around and waved at me. I waved back and he headed on the plane.

Then the other passengers started boarding. I took a seat and waited for their plane to take off. Once I saw their plane in the air I walked back to the parking garage.

I hailed a taxi and opened the backseat. After I gave the man my address and eased into the back I was thinking of when the next time I would see Hayes.

But I didn't realize that hug was the last time I would see him for a long time.

END